Mainline: I managed to break my Coarse Attenuator. [resolved]

ideal.hat · 838

Offline ideal.hat

Oh boy..

With large amount of embarrassment, I have to report that I have broken off one of the tiny contact on the coarse a attenuator.
I am also having a lot of pops and static when I move the fine attenuator around..

This all started after I managed to fix the latest issue with a miswireing on terminal 7 on the coarse.
I started to notice a lot of popping between steps. I had the idea that there was some loose solder between the contacts.
So I start going over there and in between them with a needle.. I didn't go better that, on contact just broke straight off.
I attached pictures of both atteunators and marked the broken once.

After this devastating mishap, I tested the volumes and to make things worse. the fine attenuator has now alot more poping issues
and it alse sometimes looses channels when I touch the switch.

To make things even worse, I do live in Denmark so it would be very expensive to buy and ship replacement from Bottlhead in USA. But I will ofcourse do what needs to be done and loan from my mistakes (Also the stupid ones.... )

I would like to buy 2x new attenuators and all the resistors and do this all over again.

Is my only option to buy this from Bottlehead and pay shipment and Danish taxes, or is there an alternative to buy it in europe/UK.
In case you recommend that I buy them in Europe, can someone be so kind to help me source the correct 2 pole 6 step atteunators?

If not, then I will contact the replacement part email at Bottlehead and refer to this post.

Thank you in advance, I know this is a lot to ask for.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 06:18:41 AM by Paul Birkeland »

Guðmundur Ásgeirsson
DIY Beginner.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 05:30:55 AM
We have the switches custom made by a company in the US, so getting replacements anywhere else will be tough.  I would recommend contacting replacementparts(at)bottlehead(dot)com and ask for new switches, resistors, and new terminal strips to go around the switches.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ideal.hat

Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 06:57:50 AM
We have the switches custom made by a company in the US, so getting replacements anywhere else will be tough.  I would recommend contacting replacementparts(at)bottlehead(dot)com and ask for new switches, resistors, and new terminal strips to go around the switches.

Thanks Paul, I have sent them mail now.

Guðmundur Ásgeirsson
DIY Beginner.

Offline ideal.hat

Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 05:57:00 AM
Just to follow up and close this case, I dont like loose ends.

I have now successfully replaced the attenuators.

What an amp!! I am blown away again and again.
There is so much air and natural sound coming in my HD800S that its hard to believe.

I will keep my Crack+SB for analog vinyl playback, when I want more tube warmth.

Thanks for all the help Paul.

Guðmundur Ásgeirsson
DIY Beginner.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 06:18:31 AM
I'm glad you were able to get all sorted out!

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man