VPI stall

azrockitman · 3288

Offline azrockitman

on: October 25, 2013, 08:02:47 PM
For the first time (admittedly after only cleaning about a dozen records since new) my vpi repeatedly stalled when cleaning my dire straits Brothers in arms lp tonight.  I had the "clincher" clamped down appropriately.   Meaning, specifically, the record was not slipping, the platter just stopped turning once the vacuum was activated.  Anyone ever experienced this personally?

Could too much fluid cause the vacuum arm to suck so hard that it would stall the platter?   That's the only thing I can think of.  Thanks.

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 02:01:45 AM
I have had my LP stall when I didn't have it clamped as tightly as I should but the platter has never stopped.  It is driven through a gearbox.  It has a lot of torque!  Turn the platter on with no LP on it and grab it.  If it stops easily there is something wrong with either the motor or gearbox (it could be a combination motor/gearbox). 

I just went upstairs and turned my VPI platter.  I grabbed it and stopped it, but only when I got my fingers wedged between the platter and front inside of the box.  It takes some serious pressure to stop the platter.

Sounds like something is wrong with your 16.5.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 01:54:50 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline azrockitman

Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 08:15:33 AM
Hmmm i just tried stopping mine manually and had the same result as you, I couldn't really stop it without resorting to extreme measures.  My disc might have been slipping and I didn't realize it.  I'll try a few more this afternoon.  Thanks

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline azrockitman

Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 05:22:15 PM
Following up; 

I believe I've "officially" determined that I didn't have the knurled knob/ring clamped down tight enough.  and the other "coincidence" is that the two times it happened, it was on an older LP, never cleaned. Specifically probably 40+ years old.  I'm going to guess that the physical record label might be a little more "slick"....?  No new record label has slipped with just a modest tightening.  But the two older ones that slipped, I had to really tighten a lot more than I initially thought I should.  No biggie.  Thanks for the feedback regardless. 

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 01:17:11 AM
Well, welcome to the club.  I can't tell you how many times I thought the knurled knob was tight till the vacuum was turned on.  Just be prepared, as you get older it happens more often.

I have also noticed that if I just snug up the knob as I run the LP under my DD Brush it is flat.  But if I tighten the knob a little more there is a warp on the outer edge.  The warp goes away when I take the LP off but it is a result of tightening the knob down tight.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 01:57:08 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline vetmed

Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 06:32:46 AM
The clamp's thread is rather coarse so it is easily mis-aligned, leaving the impression that the record is clamped when it is not. If you have a VPI screw clamp for your record player it will fit the RCM and cover more of the record label as an added bonus ;D

Robert Lees

Robert Lees

Offline johnsonad

Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 07:12:32 AM
I have an old model 16 and haven't had that problem. Maybe my old cork cover is sticky? I have over heated the motor and had it stop during marathon cleaning sessions. It's best to clean just a few at a time.

Aaron Johnson