Every time I come here ...

Laudanum · 4868

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 03:30:00 PM
Did you notice that he uses the Foreplay preamp with his transcendent system.  He must like the Bottlehead gear a little better than he rants on.

Doc, we had a cat just like that.  Had to bury the miserable little wretch a few years ago.  Now we have two Tabby monsters (20 pounds and 13 pounds).

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline R.Mackey

Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 05:44:27 PM
Eh, his opinions aren't that bad.  He just had trouble with assembly.  Not all of us paint with oil, some have to follow the numbers.  Nothing wrong with that.

Personally I'd rather work with discrete elements than PCB's, and I didn't find anything too small or particularly challenging to assemble.  Then again I am the type who will go in a change or add a couple of things, either to see if it makes it sound better, or just because.  (Try that with an all PCB layout!)

As for performance, the proof's in the pudding.

Ryan Mackey
Temporary system:  Pioneer DV-45A / Foreplay III / Outlaw 7100 / KEF Q-30 (heavily modified) / Hsu VTF-3 mk 2

Offline Chris

Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 08:05:57 PM
The google search inventory thing is very interesting..... My google little helper  overseas must not have a very good memory or is trying to imply something about me that is completely wrong... When I start typing BOTTLEHEAD in google chrome, before I even finish, its number 1 choice for me that always pops up is BOTTLESMOKER!!!!!  I kid you not..... haha  I just laugh and always think , uhhh just what the hell is google trying to say about me..... NEVER searched nor purchased the stuff in my life!  haha
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 07:06:38 PM by Chris »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 03:59:28 AM
google :     "bottlehead + davids + site"

Ok, I found it.  The FP 2 is a beautiful build.  He misses the point of the tight signal path.  If my fingers were any shorter or fatter I couldn't build a BH kit either.  The Transcendent is easy looking in comparison.  But I have seen one of their manuals.  Not up to Dan's standards.  Neither does he mention the sound of the two only that assembly was hard.

To each his own.  We probably should lock this thread but before that happens...

My cat, only 12 years old, has two litter boxes, one in the listening room where she spends the night and one in my work room where she spends most of the day sitting on my GainClone (always on and warm) watching the bird feeders in the back yard.  

I can't get away from the litter boxes!  Febreez for pets helps.  I don't want anyone to enter my house and say I have a cat.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 05:33:00 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Laudanum

Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 05:19:00 AM
We all know better otherwise we wouldnt be here.

I still think he's erk'd because the Bottlehead cat scratched in the guys litter box ... in fact Im convinced of it after readings Doc's cat commentary.  :-D

Desmond G.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 05:33:06 AM
I saw that site a while back and justfigured it was one guy's opinion and that he kinds of temporal/spatial skills needed to deal with a BH kit, even though most of them aren't overly challenging in that regard.  Heis also talking about the paramour I, wwhich is somewhat of 10 pounds of potatos in a 5 pound baag ayway.

Hey, you guys with cats should get a Litter Robot -- the only automatic cat box that actually works.  I've been trough all the others, and a couple of some of them, but the litter robot has otlasted them all by quite a bit now, is bullet proof and super easy to use/keep clean.  Looks like a giant space helmet, but none of the kids have ever cared about that.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline matthewmckay

Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 08:14:51 AM
hey doc,

Are you giving him wet cat food?  I had a big orange tabby that my roommates and I used to treat with the occaisional can of wet cat food, mainly because it was such a blast to watch him eat it... but that is where the fun stopped.  His rancid ass would make you tear up if you were within nose-shot, and the "consistency" of his aim went way down. (with regards to the litter box)

Eventually I had to just stick with dry food.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 09:04:23 AM
Yeah he gets wet food. I don't feed the animals, that's my small protest against the zoo that is our house. If fed him he'd get dry food alright - Decon.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #23 on: November 10, 2011, 10:41:33 AM
LOL...  This thread has gone to $hit.

Offline elcraigo

Reply #24 on: November 10, 2011, 12:26:33 PM
LOL...  This thread has gone to $hit.
Yea -- but it's kind of fun.
One of our cats (I don't feed them either Doc) did bring a squirrel in the house the other day.
Had to tell him, he had to pick up the slack getting the acorns out of the yard.
I do feed the dog though.

Craig Lewis (elcraigo is a nickname a good friend who grew up in Mexico gave me)

Offline Chris

Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011, 07:19:49 PM
The "BULLET PROOF" litter robot would be a very important feature for the cat when he/she decides and then gets caught scaling up the "Matterhorn" for cats..... Tall electrostatic speakers..... I have 3 pair myself but no cats.. however, I have seen the aforementioned with my own eyes and horror at a friends place, I might add... I still have the occasional nightmare thinking about it...... :)

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 01:42:35 PM
I Have four Cats and no Electrostatic speakers. Coincidence, I don't think so...JOhn 

John S.

Offline Chris

Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 09:55:28 PM
Your a smart man!........