Compactron Pins Falling Out

Dhouse7516 · 1084

Offline Dhouse7516

on: April 14, 2023, 04:29:25 PM
So I’m about 2 hours into my build, and have had 4 pins fall out of the compactron sockets, 3 on one socket an 1 on the other. Is this a common thing, or should I assume my sockets are damaged? I pulled out the little seating tabs and re-seated the pins and they seem okay, but I’m a bit surprised by this and wondering if I should get replacement sockets before proceeding.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 05:05:22 PM
I have not heard of this happening before but we may have just started shipping from a new batch. I am recovering from a procedure this weekend but I will check our stock first thing Monday and see if there is a problem with the current batch of sockets. Are they pulling out when you pull a tube out of the socket? Or pushing out when you insert the tube?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Dhouse7516

Reply #2 on: April 14, 2023, 05:40:16 PM
Please take your time - no rush, and I hope that your recovery goes well. They fell out as I was unwrapping them. No tube insertion involved. It seems like the little tabs on the pins that secure them to the sockets were flush to the pins and therefore not gripping the sockets. I bent them out using tweezers, and I think that they are probably okay. Just seems like a weird QC issue that I have not encountered before.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 05:23:44 AM
Just to follow up - I checked our stock of 12 pin Compactron sockets. They all had the terminals securely in place, so it appears that you got sockets that somehow missed the crimping part of the construction process. We can certainly send replacements. You can ping Eileen at [email protected] to have a pair sent.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Dhouse7516

Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 05:54:29 AM
Thanks, Doc. I’m all good. I adjusted the faulty pins and they are staying in place. In fact, I just passed final voltage check last night and have the amp up and running. It sounds fantastic!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: April 19, 2023, 07:23:09 AM
Great, glad it worked out. Enjoy!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Dhouse7516

Reply #6 on: April 20, 2023, 05:50:35 PM
Thanks! I love this amp. I am running it with Overnight Sensations, HD650s, and ZMF Aeolus and it's incredible with all of them.