Speaker wire and Bi-wiring

docbob52 · 3462

Offline docbob52

on: June 16, 2013, 02:54:40 PM
Maybe I don't have golden ears, but I can tell little difference between speaker wire types no matter how expensive and also those that are bi-wired over ip cord or the equivalent.   It is interesting that most of my electrical engineering friends say the same.  From what I can tell, different wiring is just placing a slightly different impedance into the the system and thus making the wire a small tone control.  Bruce Rosenblit of Transcendent Sound explains convincingly that the only advantage of bi-wiring is for the venders of bi-wire.  George Short, of Northcreek Music Systems ( who was an engineer at Acoustic Research and Apogee Acoustics) makes a good case for bi-wiring, however.

Let me here of your experiences. 

Garrard 301/ high mass plinth, SME 312S tonearm/ Sleeping beauty cartridge/ Denon AU 320SUT. Transcendent audio GG preamp and OTL SOB power amp. Blumenstein Orca/Dungeness Speakers

Second system.  BH Paramount 300B amps.  BeePre.  Sony SCD777ES, Wyred4 sound Dac. Mac mini.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 05:05:28 PM
Bi-wiring makes sense to me due to the reverse EMF from the woofers etc. I havent had cone speakers for awhile so I havent any real experience with it. Just like anything else, we have to try it and see. IMO wire makes a difference in sound in many ways. Its something you have to tune, just like caps, tubes, amps etc.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 07:21:36 PM
If you bi wire, you can generally remove a few large chunks of gold plated brass from between your speaker posts.

Speaker wire and interconnects have more dimensionality than just resistance, it's determining what all those dimensions might be that's the real kicker.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 12:11:57 AM
I was using zip cord for my speakers.  So one day a buddy, Doug, said, "Why don't you bi-wire?  Your speakers have the posts for it."

I cut the zip wire in half and did it.  I think it sounded a little better. 

It was more work to go back so it stayed.  Then I bi-wired with marine wire, then silver wire.  And with the Orcas I'm back to mono wire.

Offline corndog71

Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 06:15:10 AM
Maybe I don't have golden ears, but I can tell little difference between speaker wire types no matter how expensive and also those that are bi-wired over ip cord or the equivalent.   It is interesting that most of my electrical engineering friends say the same.  From what I can tell, different wiring is just placing a slightly different impedance into the the system and thus making the wire a small tone control.  Bruce Rosenblit of Transcendent Sound explains convincingly that the only advantage of bi-wiring is for the venders of bi-wire.  George Short, of Northcreek Music Systems ( who was an engineer at Acoustic Research and Apogee Acoustics) makes a good case for bi-wiring, however.

Let me here of your experiences.

What brands/types of speaker wire have you tried?

I use to play with biwiring but ultimately found it never justified the additional cable and cost.  I would just make jumpers using the same speaker wire.  Now none of my speakers even have biwire connections as the designer doesn't believe in it.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 07:49:39 AM
I would tend to agree, that the cost would be prohibitive. Now biamping, that's another animal all together

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline KevO

Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 09:14:40 AM
Years ago I bi-wired my Vandersteen II and it was highly encouraged by Vandersteen. I couldn't perceive any difference.

Currently I am quad-wired, but out of necessity. Linkwitz Orions have an active crossover and use 8 amplifiers. One per driver.

The cables are one piece, 8 conductors with 4 banana plugs for the amps and a Neutrik 8 pin Speak-on connecting to the speaker.

Kevin

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 03:41:01 PM
We use biwiring in the speaker systems we manufacture to serve as the inputs into our subwoofer amplifiers.  It works pretty well, and does not affect the dynamics of the fullrange speaker in the least.  But only a tiny bit of the speaker level signal needs to be sampled for the sub amp's high level inputs...

http://blumensteinaudio.com/cables/

As for the biwiring of passively crossovered speakers, I can say that the difference was miniscule on my old paradigms as I definitely tried it.  It smacked me as a ploy to increase the profits of speaker cable companies. ;)

Cheers!

-Clark