Speedball upgrade = fantastic!

Natural Sound · 1043

Offline Natural Sound

on: October 21, 2013, 01:53:35 PM
I bought several BH upgrade a while back and then my life got real busy. There they sat until a couple of weeks ago. First was the PJCCS in my quickie. Then the Extended Foreplay and now the Speedball.

As some of you know I am using a 6SN7 in place of the 12AU7. In doing so I had to eliminate one of the holes that would be used for a mounting standoff for the big board. This was due to the octal socket being larger in diameter. It was strictly a mechanical thing that I managed to solve with a little creativity. The wiring was very straight forward and the documentation was spot on.

As I type this on my iPad I'm listening to a 24bit 88khz recording of Steve Hackett, Genesis Revisited. It sounds freaking amazing. After Speedball the bass and mid base are tightened up and cleaner. I never found the Crack to be lacking in this area. Now it's just better, way better. I think I gained a little on top as well. A little "sparkle" that wasn't there before. I spend a lot of time under the headphones because I keep strange hours and I don't want to disturb my family members. So this is very exciting for me.

Anyone on the fence should "just do it." I only wish I had done it sooner.

Offline Loquah

• Accidental Tube Addict
    • Passion For Sound
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 02:02:32 PM
Great post, NS. It's impressive what a little mod like the Speedball can do.

Check out my reviews on YouTube - https://youtube.com/c/passionforsound

Offline mahdi8

Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 11:14:57 PM
I'm new to tube rolling and interested to try 6N8S. One question can't we use an adapter To mount it on the crack?