Pre amp

mkane · 2222

Offline mkane

on: February 13, 2016, 06:12:08 AM
  I have a pair of 2a3 monoblocks in my near future. Theres a Quickie in the house that will be used. My question is would a Smash be a better choice that a Bee Pre ahead of these power amps.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 08:51:33 AM
The BeePre is better than the Smash in just about every way, except that the Smash costs considerably less and is physically a bit smaller.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mkane

Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 12:54:53 PM
   Is the Bee Pre a more difficult build?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 09:08:48 AM
There are many, many more parts in a Smash and a BeePre than a Quickie, and a lot of attention must be paid to ensure that mistakes aren't made along the way.  The Smash is a little more forgiving of this, however, as the upgrade is installed separately so that the basic circuit can be debugged first.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mkane

Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 11:32:09 AM
  If I can slow down a bit, double check everything, make sure the mechanical joint is good, I should be up to this. I just need a good  lighted magnifier.

Offline marantzfan

Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 04:04:27 PM
You can do it Mike.  The BeePre wasn't necessarily dificult, just loooooong.  The problem with a long build is you get impatient and that's when mistakes are made.  As long as you take your time and go into it only taking on a small chunk at a time, you'll be fine.

I built mine in two sittings, and although I didn't make any mistakes, I certainly would recommend taking at least 3-4 evenings as my eyes were going crooked at times.  :)

BeePre, Paramounts 1.1, Eros, Thorens TD-124/AudioMods Tonearm/Ortofon 2M Black, IFI Micro Idsd, HQPlayer,  Altec 604-8G Duplex/620 Cabinets/Markwart Crossovers

S.E.X. 2.1, AKG K701

Offline mkane

Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 04:41:13 AM
  I found a real nice lighted magnifier online. https://www.dazor.com/store/Hi-Lighting-Clamp-Base-Magnifier-42.html.  I'll probably go with the Smash. My track bike needs attention also.

Offline Deluk

Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 01:23:12 AM
A pair of strong over the counter reading glasses, I have a pair of 3.5 dioptre, my eyes about 1.25d, and the desk lamp you possibly already have is more economical. Can't see spending $352 on a magnifier lamp which are often awkward to use and get in the way when a pair, or two, of strong reading glasses at $10/pair will do the trick. A small flexi halogen lamp easy to find for $20-30.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 01:55:38 AM
That is a ridiculous price, have a search on ebay for magnifier lamps and you will find dozens of options.

M.McCandless

Offline mkane

Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 04:27:50 AM
  I'll keep shopping.  Thank's fellas.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 05:46:13 AM
After doing this and other hobbies requiring very good vision I have tried a lot of different things. The bench magnifiers are good from the standpoint that they don't walk away from the bench. But they are very fiddly, you are constantly having to tilt them or push them in or out as you work. Strong readers are good, but I find I get kinda woozy after wearing them for a while. My suggestion is the dorkiest looking way to go, but I find it eminently practical - a headband magnifier like this

(https://www.nationalartcraft.com/images/sub-0409-01.jpg)

I can wear my readers under it and flip down an inner lens thus giving me three different levels of magnification. The better ones have LEDs that converge right in front of your face and they all flip up out of the way when you need to walk across the room for another tool or look at a monitor. And luckily the cheap ones seem to work really well.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 01:59:10 PM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline mkane

Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 01:47:59 PM
  I'm looking. thanks

Offline mkane

Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 03:07:44 PM
  Ordered one along with the additional magnifier that bolts on like the unit in the above pic.  I have a 2nd hand pair of 2a3 monoblocks headed my way. If my Quickie ahead of these floats my boat, I'll step up the pre amp chain. Probably a Smash. All the help much appreciated.