Some questions about 6DN7s

Jim R. · 1346

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: April 13, 2016, 12:29:04 PM
I just got some tubes that I thought were Sylvania black plates but the tubes and boxes all say GE. Are these basically the same - I'm sure they are equivalent in sonics, but did one company make them for the other?

Also, how do you tell a black plate from a gray plate? Is the Black more like a very dark gray, and the gray a somewhat lighter gray? Is it pretty obvious.

These are all of identical construction, that, I know.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 12:44:14 PM
Have a look at the examples here http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=5316.0

M.McCandless

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 01:04:02 PM
Well, if I weren't blind I would have looked it up. :-)

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 01:17:32 PM
Ah right, sorry.   The sylvanias have a different internal construction from all the other tubes in that they have a tall thin plate for the first section, and the support micas have a different shape.

Of the regular GE and RCA tubes there are black plate and grey plate varieties. The black plates are a very dark almost shiny finish to them, and the greys are a light grey colour.  They are very different from one another.

Just to add to the confusion the Sylvania tubes were rebranded and sold under many different labels, so you can find RCA boxed and labeled tubes that are Sylvanias.

M.McCandless

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 01:32:09 PM
Thanks -- that helps -- All I know is that all 6 of these are of identical construction and all in GE boxes with GE labels, so probably not the sylvania black plates with the construction you first described.

I'm not going to worry about it -- I'm guessing there is really little difference in the sonics -- maybe a tiny bit here and there, but nothing I'm going to lose any sleep over. :-)

Thanks much,

Jim