Stereomour Teething Pains!

M42 · 6046

Offline M42

Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 02:33:46 PM
Once I have a little more time I will move the components as you have suggested Grainger and report back. Thank you for your continued input, it's much appreciated. Fabian, in answer to your question....I have both, hiss and hum even with the volume control at minimum settings. As far as I can remember, the amp was dead silent (at the speakers) at lower volume settings. The hum/hiss seemed to become audible at the speakers at about the 100 hour mark or so. The amp has just under 200 hours on it now. What perplexes me most at this point is the continued hum at the transformer, which disappears when you touch the transformer bell (not the transformer laminations). Nothing is loose. Additionally on startup a humming noise is heard through the speakers for about six to eight seconds then abruptly drops to a much lower level. I've obviously stuffed something up on the build...I'm determined to find it and fix it.

Jeff

Jeff Hullin

Stereomour(2A3), Eros, Crack/Speedball, Thorens TD160 MKII, Grace F9E, Sennheiser HD600's, Frugelhorn 3's, DIY 8" Subs.

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 03:07:49 PM
Hum for a few seconds after startup is normal. Transformer bell hum is usually fixed by tightening the mounting screws a little. Hiss coming on after a hundred hours may just be a funky tube.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline wullymc

Reply #32 on: February 22, 2014, 01:03:38 AM
Hi Jeff, M42

You asked the question who lives in Ottawa.  There are a couple of us.  I live in Stittsville and I believe a member mchurch does too, although I haven't heard from him in awhile.

I am a junior Bottleheader.   I have built and upgraded a Crack along with a upgraded Quickie.  If you need a second set of eyes or other components to try to narrow down your focus I would be willing to help.

As you can see in your thread, this forum is wonderful and the people hear will get you up and running.  You don't have to worry about that.  I am also thinking of getting either a Sex or Stereomour.  I would love to hear yours.

Send me a PM if you would like.

Take care....Dave

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Current Project:  Beepre!!!

Offline M42

Reply #33 on: February 22, 2014, 07:46:55 AM
Hi Dave,

I have to agree, the forum and its members are a wonderful resource indeed. Where else can you get, in many instances, almost real time responses to your questions...and often from the designers themselves! It's nice to hear there are at least a few of us here in the Ottawa area. You're more than welcome to have a listen to my amp...despite my perceived shortcomings with my build, the thing still sounds amazing! Thanks for your offer to help...I'll send you a pm.

Jeff

Jeff Hullin

Stereomour(2A3), Eros, Crack/Speedball, Thorens TD160 MKII, Grace F9E, Sennheiser HD600's, Frugelhorn 3's, DIY 8" Subs.

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.