another Stereomour but a giant step for me

borism · 6900

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 11:30:14 PM
Slightly off topic sorry re cooling without air conditioning a handy Bahamian method I picked while staying with a local spear-fisherman was to pick up a block of ice from the local fish market or you can freeze it yourself. Before retiring for the evening set the ice in a large bowl across from the bed position a fan to blow across the ice towards you. Results a comfortable nights sleep and on waking a refreshing bowl of cool water to have a wash with, it works really well!

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline borism

Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 05:13:31 AM
That's a nice story Jamie.

Guy, I live in Connecticut and we have had a very cold Winter thus far. Having said that, the top plate of the Stereomour only gets barely warm. The power transformer bell also seems only lukewarm after hours of playing. Of course, who knows what it will be like once we get some Summer heat and humidity.

Boris

Boris

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 05:48:16 PM
the top plate of the Stereomour only gets barely warm. The power transformer bell also seems only lukewarm after hours of playing.

That particular transformer is a little oversized for its duties, hence the unusually low temperature.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #33 on: March 20, 2014, 05:36:37 AM

Guy, I live in Connecticut...

Boris

Hi Boris:

There's at least a couple of us here in CT.  I'm a little south of Hartford and Boulos is near New Haven.  I know there are at least a couple of others. 

Unlike you, I have not taken that giant step.  However, I know a great product and value when I see one.  I bought Paramounts pre-built and Boulos built a BeePre for me.

Your Audio Kenesis Jazz Module speakers (Duke?) are a little off the-beaten-path, how did you end up with them and how are they working out with the Stereomour?

Thanks and congrats on your build!

Gerry             

Offline borism

Reply #34 on: March 20, 2014, 06:04:38 AM
Gerry,

I live just north of New Haven. Duke's Jazz Modules came about when I decided to move away from solid state amplification and low sensitivity speakers (Thiel 2.4) a few years back. Somehow I stumbled upon AudioKinesis on the AudioCircle forum and the rest is history.

The Stereomour is driving my speakers surprisingly well. I don't think that this match would work well for loud rock or loud, symphonic classical music. However, acoustic, jazz and voices are great.

Boris
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 01:42:21 PM by borism »

Boris

Offline borism

Reply #35 on: May 05, 2014, 03:32:24 AM
A brief update. The amplifier continues to sound wonderful. However, I was never happy with my poor finish of the wooden base. Then, I happened to see a very nice plank of bubinga wood on ebay. So, to make it short, with the help of a friend, I made a new base. All it needed is some linseed oil and lacquer finish. Now, I am happy with the whole package.

Boris
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 04:45:42 AM by borism »

Boris

Offline Grainger49

Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 05:11:05 AM
That is a beautiful piece of wood and a nice tidy build.

I didn't know you could put lacquer on top of linseed oil.  You can spray it on top of oil?  I thought it wouldn't take. 

You learn something every day.

Offline Kris

Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 05:23:47 AM
Beautiful work on the base Boris.
BTW, did you put anything (lacquer/wax) on the top alum. chassis plate to prevent oxidizing?
Asking, 'cause I'm planning to put clear lacquer on mine, but still can't decide whether I should leave it as is and not be to worry about oxidizing of the top plate or put some clear lacquer, but this would give some yellowish shade over time.

Offline borism

Reply #38 on: May 05, 2014, 05:29:28 AM
Thanks!

Grainger, there was a very nice video on finishing bubinga on youtube and this is what they recommended. It is boiled linseed oil and you have to wait a day for it to dry and then use lacquer spray.

Kris, I didn't put anything on the aluminum plate and just left it as is.

Boris

Offline Grainger49

Reply #39 on: May 05, 2014, 05:51:51 AM
Thanks, Boris!

I'll take a look now as I'm resting from hood polishing.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #40 on: May 05, 2014, 06:15:14 AM
Nice job the Bubinga has a real neat look to it.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!