Jupiter HT Capacitors

kgoss · 7708

Offline kgoss

on: November 19, 2011, 12:09:08 PM
Hi Bottleheads,

I wanted to post this in case anyone out there is thinking about these capacitors because there has been some concern about heat tolerance.  I installed a pair of the 2.2uF and 0.1uF Jupiter HT capacitors when I added the C4S upgrade to my S.E.X. 2.0 amp this spring.  My amp is the version without cooling slots in the top plate and the capacitors show no signs of damage from the heat.  Just to give you a point of reference, I listen for one to two hours almost every day.  So if you are on the fence with these capacitors because of the heat issues reported with their beeswax capacitors just know that I have not had any issues with the "HT" caps.

I don't have enough experience swapping caps to actually review them.  Suffice it to say that I often have to make myself stop listening to the amp and get some sleep.  Just one more album ... just one more song!

BTW - I have no affiliation with Jupiter.

Ken

Ken Goss

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 03:58:52 PM
Good to hear - thanks for the post!

Paul Joppa

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 05:59:39 AM
There seems to be a shortage of these these days.  I just ried to order a pair of 1.5 uF flat stack HTs from PCX for my 2.1, but no go, and it looked like the other vendors I checked out were out of many of the values in both the round anfd flat stack HTs.

Does anybody know if there is a supply problem with these at the moment, or is just a coincidence?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 11:18:54 AM
I have been reading that the "new" Jupiters are much more tolerant to heat. The old ones melted quicker than a candle! They have been on my short list for some time. I have not tried them. Been through Janstzen Superior Z, Obbligato gold, Ampohm Paper in Oil, Mundorf Silver/Oil and Mundorf Supreme. It seems to me from the above caps, the Mundorf Silver/Oil are at the top for crossover and coupling duties. I would expect the Jupiters to be on a par with the Mundorf Silver/Oil's - I think they are actually a bit more expensive. Thats probably why I havent tried them. I am also interested in the Ampohm Paper/Wax. Having trouble finding them in high enough values for speaker crossover duty. As far as small values (2.2uF and less), I dont think you can beat Mundorf Silver/Oil for the cash. My dream would be to own some Duelund Casts! I would take those to my grave! Speakers would come and go. Those would stay!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline kgoss

Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 03:54:18 PM

Jim,

I don't know anything about a supply problem, but the place I ordered mine from doesn't seem to offer the 2.2uF value I ordered.  I got mine from Sonic Craft  http://www.soniccraft.com/products/capacitors/film/jupiter_ht.htm

Ken Goss

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 04:49:26 PM
Ken,

Thanks, that's one of the places I checked and they too were out of the 1.5s -- as well as lots of other values, but they may be phasing them out, so who knows.

I actually found another pair I plan to use in my new s.e.x. amp, so the jupiters will just have to wait for another project.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Big and Pink

Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 11:29:50 AM
but they may be phasing them out, so who knows.

From Jupiters web site...

*Round 600V 2.2uf - 4.7uf have been replaced by flat-stacked 600V.

http://jupitercondenser.com/cryo-ht-beeswax-paper-flat-capacitors.html [nofollow]

John from Alaska