Cardas RCA jacks soldering question

audiomaniac · 2308

Offline audiomaniac

• No hill too steep, no ditch too deep!
on: October 25, 2016, 05:51:20 PM
I decided to upgrade the RCA jacks on my Reduction and went with some Cardas GRFA gold/rhodium jacks. They sure do look purdy, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to solder the ground wire since they don't have a solder lug for the ground. I guess you solder to the collar somehow but would you wrap the wire around it? I would imagine that there is a proper method but I'm not sure what it is. Has anybody used these or have a suggestion on how to do it? Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 05:53:56 PM by audiomaniac »

John
------
Crack

Offline ALL212

Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 01:10:13 AM
I have used those.  They are not easy to work with.  You'll need high heat and if you're not careful you'll soften the insulation between the pin and collar.

I wouldn't wrap the wire.  Use that notch, put just enough wire in it to hold and solder away.  The larger the surface area (if you wrap it) the harder this will be to properly attach. 

Just a suggestion - if possible send them back and get the Vampire CM1F/CB.  They are a drop in replacement for the stock RCA's.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Aaron Luebke

Offline kgoss

Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 03:10:42 AM
I have used those jacks and like them very much. To solder the ground wire I use the notch and crimp the wire in there tightly with pliers. The harder thing for me was the signal wire. It goes in the open cup at the end and there is nothing to crimp to. I bend the wire until it is in contact with the metal cup and solder.  I always like to make a tight mechanical connection with wire before soldering but in this case you can't. But since there is no stress on the signal wires I have never had an issue doing it that way.

Ken Goss

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 09:15:20 AM
I would use the stock parts.  If your ground connection on the RCA jack lifts, bad things could potentially happen.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline audiomaniac

Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 09:50:22 AM
Thanks for the info. That's the way I see it, to crimp the wire on the collar and solder. Doesn't seem like the best design in the world.

John
------
Crack

Offline audiomaniac

Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 11:15:59 AM
I looked at those Vampire, but they were almost twice the cost of the Cardas. Oh well, too late to return, so I'm going to forge ahead. Thanks!

I have used those.  They are not easy to work with.  You'll need high heat and if you're not careful you'll soften the insulation between the pin and collar.

I wouldn't wrap the wire.  Use that notch, put just enough wire in it to hold and solder away.  The larger the surface area (if you wrap it) the harder this will be to properly attach. 

Just a suggestion - if possible send them back and get the Vampire CM1F/CB.  They are a drop in replacement for the stock RCA's.

Anyone else have suggestions?

John
------
Crack