Replacing LED on CD Player

schumany · 2719

Offline schumany

on: June 28, 2013, 07:58:01 AM
My old (you don't want to know) CD player is starting to skip at beginning of CDs.  I've cleaned the lens, and that has helped some, but the skipping problem is still there.  I've read that it's the IR LED that's going and it needs replacing.  Has anyone had any experience with this? ???

Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind. - Johannes Brahms

Paul S.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 01:43:20 PM
First you need to see if you can get a replacement laser, or transport, for your specific player. Try MCM. Or look for a used one for parts...John 

John S.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 02:02:56 PM
MCM electronics sell replacement "sleds" for a number of makes.  There are only a half a dozen makers of the sleds. 

Try mcmelectronics.com

Offline schumany

Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 05:41:59 PM
Thanks guys!  I'll check that out.  It's a Onkyo DX-C730 (assembled in 1997).  It's older than my daughter, who's now in high school.  I bought it purely on sound.  Later when I opened it up did I find it has decrete transistors in the output instead of an op-amp.  I can't wait for the Bottlehead DAC as an upgrade.

Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind. - Johannes Brahms

Paul S.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 02:17:32 AM
Johannes,

"purely on sound," is the right way to buy. 

Good luck with MCM.  I get fliers from them once a month and they carry what you are looking for.  The only question is do they have the right one.  You might have to take a picture and give them a call.