Best Bang for the Buck Paramount Magnequest Upgrade

Paully · 2282

Offline Paully

on: March 17, 2011, 05:49:26 AM
Sorry for asking so many questions, I am just on an upgrade tear I guess.  I was curious, for Paramount amplifiers in 45 mode where would I get the most bang for the buck; upgrading the output transformers to EXO-45/46 or a Magnequest plate choke?  Don't have the cash to do both at once so just curious which one I might consider doing first.  Thanks!

Paul

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 08:08:45 AM
The stock version runs a 3K output transformer; the EXO-45/46 is 5K and would call for a substantial revision of the operating point. Glad to help calculate that, I'm just giving a heads-up. The TFA-2004Jr or the similar BH-5 retain the 3K impedance; nickel is costly but well worth it IMHO.

The plate choke revision (go for the 40mA/50H version of the BCP-15) would call for a new parafeed capacitor in the 10uF-12uF range and would be a clearly audible improvement, as well as being useful with any transformer change later.

Paul Joppa

Offline Paully

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 11:56:35 AM
Ok, just got off the phone with Mike and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse.  I bought the BCP-15 plate chokes and also bought the EXO-46 16ohm 5K impedance transformers in full nickel.  God heavens I have a problem.

Anyway, it looks like I am indeed going to need help calculating the proper operating points for the transformers.  I just can't help myself!

Paul