Unused Compactron Tube Pin Pulled Out, But Now Amp Stopped Making Sound

Lazlo_Hollyfeld · 992

Offline Lazlo_Hollyfeld

My left channel on my stock SEX started sounding a little scratchy at idle so I went to swap out the tubes to start the troubleshooting. While pulling out the the left channel tube, the folded down tube pin at the "B2" stuck to the pin and pulled right out.  I assume its not coincidental, but now the amp makes no sound at all, which is odd since that pin was one of the three not in use.  Thoughts? I suppose something else could have happened when I lifted up the chassis to look at the underside of the socket, causing the outage.  I should also note that the tubes still both light up when plugged in, so power is flowing. Appreciate any suggestions for trouble shooting!

Desktop: Pine Tree cables > modi+ > S.E.X. > Omega BAMs | Main: Bluesound Node / Marantz 6300 w/ Denon DL110 > Rogue RP-1 > First Watt J2 > Zu Dirty Weekend Six Supremes

Offline Lazlo_Hollyfeld

Time for some public humiliation. In the process of trouble shooting, I knocked the input switch on my Schiit Modi. Explains the lack of sound.  All is good now.  Hopefully others can learn from my mistake, lol. Related follow up question, any reason to secure that unused tube pin back inside the Conpactron socket?

Desktop: Pine Tree cables > modi+ > S.E.X. > Omega BAMs | Main: Bluesound Node / Marantz 6300 w/ Denon DL110 > Rogue RP-1 > First Watt J2 > Zu Dirty Weekend Six Supremes

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
I wouldn't worry about replacing an unused pin.  When writing the manual, I had considered putting directions in on clipping them and popping them out, but ultimately decided against it.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man