BeePre Cap Upgrade Impressions

Aural Robert · 1327

Offline Aural Robert

on: January 29, 2017, 05:03:28 AM
I finally ordered some Russian 10UF 250V caps and installed them in my BeePre. Even before installing them, I noticed they are physically a LOT heavier than the stock caps, although not enormously larger. I had to extend the leads a bit and they mounted right into the original cap location with a new zip strip. Easy and simple upgrade - nice planning by the Bottleheads to allow tweakers access to the fiddly bits.

I immediately noticed a difference in the sound. The bass is crisper and more authoritative somehow, particularly on the bass kick drum. All the musicians are more clearly defined and the sense of separation has improved (depending on the recording of course). The very highest highs seem to last longer too.

One of the best bang for the buck upgrades I've done in a long while. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED if you haven't done it yet. It got me motivated to go and buy some Jensen 47UF 450V caps for my Paramount 2A3's. They should arrive next week. I have to wonder what a V-Cap would sound like but I`m trying to save my funds for a Woody tone arm atm.

Aural Robert.

Origin Live Calypso TT w String Theory arm & Shure V15VxMR, Eros or BH DAC -> BeePre -> MonAmor 2A3s w JJ's => Blumestein Bamboo Tritons on Blumenstein Bamboo stands, AND Enhanced SEX w Sexy spkrs and subs in the WAF zone. DIY Belden 89259 w Eichmann interconnects throughout

Offline Chris65

Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 11:08:51 AM
Thanks for the report, but which 'Russian' cap (teflon, PIO, etc)?

Offline Aural Robert

Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 11:54:52 AM
One like this.

Origin Live Calypso TT w String Theory arm & Shure V15VxMR, Eros or BH DAC -> BeePre -> MonAmor 2A3s w JJ's => Blumestein Bamboo Tritons on Blumenstein Bamboo stands, AND Enhanced SEX w Sexy spkrs and subs in the WAF zone. DIY Belden 89259 w Eichmann interconnects throughout

Offline Chris65

Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 12:43:28 PM
Thanks. K73-16 PETP/aka Mylar.

Offline physicsmajor

Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 01:00:51 PM
I also used these exact caps (different month date code, otherwise identical) in the primary two main positions in front of the 300B's, and have a similar impression.  They do a really great job; I love the way my BeePre sounds.