PP Amp kits qua Dyna ST-70?

Downhome Upstate · 9411

Offline Mike B

Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 05:45:24 AM
I started my valve journey with a K12-G kit, 8 Watt, PP pentode.  Sounded great.  Then bought a Dared I30, 16 Watt, PP 6L6.  Sounded better.  Neither sounded as good as the class A elekit 6L6 and the flea power zero feedback Stereomour sounds the best.

Someday, when I've run out of other things to do, I'll get a big push pull valve amp to try in the garage.  Or not as the case may be - :)

Far away from the bleeding edge

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 06:15:59 AM
I started my valve journey with a K12-G kit, 8 Watt, PP pentode.  Sounded great.  Then bought a Dared I30, 16 Watt, PP 6L6.  Sounded better.  Neither sounded as good as the class A elekit 6L6 and the flea power zero feedback Stereomour sounds the best.

Someday, when I've run out of other things to do, I'll get a big push pull valve amp to try in the garage.  Or not as the case may be - :)

Mike,

Yup, love my Stereomour w/the Orcas & a sub for small-group jazz, acoustic anything, vocals, etc. I was thinking tubes for a rock and roll amp b/c I'm just starting to get comfortable w/understanding vacuum tube audio circuits. But if tubes and rock 'n roll music is where I want to go, maybe I should be thinking Mainline and some new phones.

Mike

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline corndog71

Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 06:34:12 AM
I'm currently building Bob Latino's VTA ST120 which is like the ST70 but with bigger trannys in order to run KT88/6550/KT120 tubes.

I'm doing my own layout versus the classic Dynaco chassis which Bob seems to favor.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Mike B

Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 06:53:58 AM
Cool.  That's the one I would use. 

And drive the tweeters with the K12G.

Far away from the bleeding edge

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 07:12:29 AM
I'm currently building Bob Latino's VTA ST120 which is like the ST70 but with bigger trannys in order to run KT88/6550/KT120 tubes.

I'm doing my own layout versus the classic Dynaco chassis which Bob seems to favor.

How about some pics of that build as you go?

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 01:27:41 PM

Mike,

Yup, love my Stereomour w/the Orcas & a sub for small-group jazz, acoustic anything, vocals, etc. I was thinking tubes for a rock and roll amp b/c I'm just starting to get comfortable w/understanding vacuum tube audio circuits. But if tubes and rock 'n roll music is where I want to go, maybe I should be thinking Mainline and some new phones.

Mike

Nevermind about getting a good rock 'n roll headphone/amp combo. Just tried my DT880/600's back from the warranty service shop & plugged 'em into my Crack/Speedball with the North Mississippi Allstars 'World Boogie is Coming' on the CD player. I won't be needing anything else headphone/amp wise.

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline STURMJ

Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 07:19:53 PM
I built a triode-electronics ST-70, before I discovered Bottlehead. The build manual is nowhere near as good as those produced here. I was my first try at DIY, and I would not recommend it for a first timer. But I do have it working and it is a good amp.  Mine is tuned down to 17 watts per channel (tirode mode not pentode). It sits like a trophy in my garage, not for being bad, but I found better.  ;D

Offline corndog71

Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 06:16:13 AM

How about some pics of that build as you go?

You got it!  http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,5671.0.html

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Paully

Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 06:25:07 AM
Another option, just for kicks, is to pick up an actual original ST-70 and mod.  OT's are wonderful.  Put in a Triode Electronics power supply board to start just to be on the safe side and later replace the driver board with the flavor of your choice (I decided to put in a new board but one that used the original 7199 driver circuit in my original Dynaco ST-70).  Can put in a new power transformer and tube sockets if you want, tube sockets eventually is a really good idea.  Personally, I like refurbishing the old stuff when that is an option though the cost all in is probably about the same as a new kit when all is said and done.  Anyway, just a thought.

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 06:31:08 AM
Another option, just for kicks, is to pick up an actual original ST-70 and mod.  OT's are wonderful.  Put in a Triode Electronics power supply board to start just to be on the safe side and later replace the driver board with the flavor of your choice (I decided to put in a new board but one that used the original 7199 driver circuit in my original Dynaco ST-70).  Can put in a new power transformer and tube sockets if you want, tube sockets eventually is a really good idea.  Personally, I like refurbishing the old stuff when that is an option though the cost all in is probably about the same as a new kit when all is said and done.  Anyway, just a thought.

Yessir, absolutely. My preference, actually. More fun and probably a bunch more learning that way. I've taken to surfing all the area Craigslist sites for anyone who has an original ST70 for a decent price. Hard to find in the greater metro NYC/Philly area, tho'. Seems like the internet has everyone thinking that grandpa's old stuff is lost treasure.

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline Paully

Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 06:48:05 AM
Well, if you are willing to risk an untested unit on ebay... they are really cheap.  Saw one go for $200.  Shipping is a royal pain, $50 on average I guess, but then you have one in your grubby paws and can get to work!

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 11:38:27 AM
Paully,

If I could find one for $200.00, I'd snatch it right up! Guess I'll keep looking on ebay & craigslist and see what I can see.

Mike

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline caffeinator

Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 12:41:12 PM
I've said it before (maybe even here - apologize if I'm repeating myself) - a Dyna ST-70 is kind of like the Chevy Small Block of tube amps...lots of them out there, lots of aftermarket parts and pieces, and lots of tweak potential.  You can generally sell them for as much (or sometimes more) than you paid for them, and they sound pretty good.

I had a Dyna ST-70 at the heart of my shop system for a long time, and was very happy with it.

If you can get one for $200, that is a steal - they tend to go for more than that.

Offline Paully

Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 03:13:29 PM
Might be a steal, but thus my preface that in that price range they are untested, so you take your chances.  But they do show up in the 2-300 dollar range as a quick sold search on ebay will verify.  My last Dynaco Grainger let me have (or sold to me so cheaply that it was the same thing) a Dynaco chassis.  Everything after that was then my choice.  Those can be had in the $75 range.  Then buy either vintage output transformers or new (I used Magnequest) and you start off with the a new PT and power supply board.  Anyway, there are enough Dynacos on ebay in various stages of undress that you can decide where you want to start and go from there.  And all the Bottlehead preamps I have used mated extremely well with my Dynacos.

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #29 on: February 08, 2014, 01:20:07 PM
FWIW, I placed a couple of ads for ST-70 road kill (AA Trader & US Audio Mart), and now I will wait.

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.