S.E.X. C4S upgrade

timbro52 · 5995

Offline ssssly

Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 12:16:01 AM
I'm sure that you have looked at it a million times but check the orientation of the power supply caps. If the fuse is blowing before the c4s leds light up there isn't a lot that will cause that other than something shorted between pins or backwards caps. If you can't find the problem try getting a can of air and blowing out the transformer. I have had wire clipping fall into a couple of power transformers that caused weeks of trouble shooting only to be solved with a can of air.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 04:55:10 AM
If the fuse is blowing before the c4s leds light up there isn't a lot that will cause that other than something shorted between pins or backwards caps.

Or blown rectifier diodes - which usually blow because caps were put in backwards.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline timbro52

Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 03:44:12 PM
Thanks Jim,

The fuse held, now what? Is it time to email Bottlehead for new tubes?  Did I blow the tubes with my miss wire at the pins?

Humbly yours,

Tim

Tim Darby

Offline JC

Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 04:14:12 PM
Well, we still don't know exactly what's going on, we just know that  something is drawing too much current when the tubes are in the amp and the circuits are complete.

My next step, since I have a tube tester, would be to test the tubes.  If you don't have one available, I always recommend looking in the phone book to see if there is a guitar shop in your area that repairs tube guitar amps.  They usually have a tester of some kind.

In the meantime, since you can now power up at least part of the amp, it may be useful to try to get some Voltage readings.  Expect them to be mostly higher than in the manual, since the tubes are out.

A good place to start, I think, would be the tubes socket pins on each socket.  Post those back here.  Note:  IIRC, the readings should all be DC and with respect to circuit ground.

BTW, even though the fuse is holding, I would not recommend leaving the amp "On" any longer than it takes to get a few quick readings.  Doing so can tend to lead to some complacence, and even without the tubes in place, there is still ample opportunity for a nasty shock!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:01:19 PM by JC »

Jim C.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 06:13:03 PM
Try one tube, if the fuse holds, move it to the other side. then try the other tube...John 

John S.