Good headphones for the SEX

tdogzthmn · 1430

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
on: May 05, 2013, 07:59:56 PM
So far I've had excellent results using my SEX 2.1 to drive my AKG K400 and Fostex t50rp headphones. My HD600 also did great but I found my fostex headphones to sound as good for about 1/3 of the price so I let go of the sennheisers.   Any other combinations people are enjoying with their SEX?

Offline FraGGleR

Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 02:20:30 PM
Loved the LCD-2s balanced off of the S.E.X.  Hearing that combo at a meet made me get the S.E.X.  Am enjoying the S.E.X. immensely with my HD800s.  They do well with the Fostex TH900s, but because they are relatively sensitive, there is a low level hiss when music isn't being played.  I thought the HE-6s sounded pretty good with the S.E.X. as well - no lack of bass, treble was well behaved.  But I haven't heard them out of some of the speaker amps that people are trying.  HE500's were great.  I believe that some amps might do better with different headphones, but I haven't found a headphone that didn't sound at least very good with the S.E.X.  The Audio Technica W3000ANVs were very good, too, just not for me.

I am making a pair of Fragglepants (Thunderpants clone) and will be testing those hopefully this weekend. 

I might be too easy to please, but I think the S.E.X. is an astoundingly versatile amp and easily one of the better values in this hobby.  I have been fortunate to hear some very nice equipment and I have yet to feel like I am missing out.  (Well, the SR-009 out of a Ray Samuels A10 was pretty amazing)

Resonessence Concero -> Bottlehead S.E.X. 2.1 -> HD800