Bottlehead Kits > Pipette Speaker

Pipette Speaker Build Thread

(1/5) > >>

oguinn:
First, I’d like to point out, Doc, that it’s time for a new subforum for the Pipettes!

My Pipettes are en route to Kansas City as we speak and should land on my doorstep this afternoon. Unfortunately I am away on a business trip through Thursday, BUT I’m really excited to be building another Bottlehead kit after a long stretch going without. I’ll use this thread to capture some steps in the process, post the finished speakers, and discuss some impressions. Stay tuned!

Doc B.:
Yes, been meaning to do that. In crazy mode before Bonneville so things are a little disorganized. I've been listening to a new subwoofer prototype that Matt and I cooked up - see the photo. Pretty amazing for a tiny subwoofer. I am also convincing myself that the felt diffraction rings do make a difference. Was not sure at first, as I was listening in our dining room setup that is not treated. I now have the setup in the studio and I can dig a lot deeper into what I'm hearing. I am also experimenting with a zobel. It did not have a measurable effect in terms of frequency response, but I think I may hear a subtle improvement with it as well. If it stands up to more critical listening I will provide the parts to the beta builders to see what you all think.

I should emphasize that these drivers really do have a limit of about 5 watts max power as spec'd by the manufacturer. I have bottomed them a few times torture testing them above that level.

Thermioniclife:
Sounds like good candidate for a Stereomour 2

oguinn:
I’m planning on the S3X or a Quickie/Quicksand I have laying around. Once funds rebound I’ll probably pick up another S3X or Stereomour

Doc B.:
Yup, S.E.X. amp and Stereomour2 are right in the sweet spot. Kaiju as well with the application of some discretion on the level control. I've been using some MonAmours this week and they are great too, when used with discretion. I think I have a Quicksand here somewhere. May give it a spin. Maybe on the sub too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version