Raspberry Pi Squeezeplug Upgrading Woes

John EH · 6628

Offline John EH

on: July 24, 2013, 11:09:56 AM
After catastrophe with my work Raspberry Pi I decided to make sure I had solid bootable back ups of all my functioning RPi systems.

This is tougher than it sounds.

Backing up the cards in mac using a terminal and dd command is pretty slow so I moved the operation over to my (gasp) Windows computer.

Used a program called USB Image Tool to make image files of my SD cards.  Easy.  Real easy.

However I found that unless the SD card used to restore the back up to is EXACTLY the same or the same card from the backup it generally won't boot.

Then on top of that I found that if it did boot and then you update Debian either through Squeezeplug or through apt-get upgrade and apt-get update that it also sometimes wouldn't boot following the update.

Through my trials and trevails I found that of the multitude of SD cards out there only one in particular met my needs on all fronts.  Panasonic Class 10 8 gigabyte. The card has a gold label on it and bear in mind I'm in Japan.

All other cards really are a royal pain.  Seems Raspberry Pi doesn't just like any old card.

Most people probably would want to restore the image to the exact same card if something went kaput and then I guess it doesn't matter what card you use however if you want to make a back up card well then......good luck.

I wanted a backup card at work because our free wireless was crashing sometimes 5 or 10 times a day.  Everytime they'd restart the router I would get a new IP address and I'd have to hard restart the Raspberry Pi and was getting file system corruptions doing that.

My response to that was to donate a couple of routers to the Marines and now I administer the network out there.

Anyway if you intend to back up your RPi Squeezeplugs I strongly recommend the following.

- When you buy SD cards for the Rpi ONLY buy stuff on the approved SD card list for RPi. 

- Buy your SD cards all at once.  Same kind.  Same batch.  I have 4 Squeezeplugs and so that means I need 5 or 6 six cards all the same.  Enough to have a couple of floaters for an emergency.

- Back up your RPi images and then put them on a new card and test that they work.

And finally after doing a Debian Upgrade through the advanced setup menu in Squeezeplug 2 out of 3 of my home setups "broke" and sounded like crap with clicks and pops after the update.

I then had to issue an rpi-update command at the terminal for each system to upgrade the kernel.  Upgrading the kernel fixed the sound issues.

John

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 11:32:29 AM
Hey John - wow, I mean - I love computers. But this is over the top! You must be a network engineer or something.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline John EH

Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 12:25:55 PM
Hey John - wow, I mean - I love computers. But this is over the top! You must be a network engineer or something.

Not even close.  The only thing I excel at is drinking beer and chasing pretty Asian women.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 12:30:31 PM
well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad  8)

John S.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 02:58:26 PM

Not even close.  The only thing I excel at is drinking beer and chasing pretty Asian women.

LoL!! ;D - now theres a man I can relate to - you must be a brother from a different mother like Greg...

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline John EH

Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 03:01:13 PM

LoL!! ;D - now theres a man I can relate to - you must be a brother from a different mother like Greg...

In the name of honesty and decency the whole truth is that I'm currently on a hiatus from beer to knock off 10 lbs I picked up and the one Asian girl currently in occupancy with me would stick a knife to my privates if I were caught chasing other pretty Asian women.

John

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 03:39:45 PM
Hey at least you got one! Dont be greedy! You and Greg, with the exotic tastes for women. What Gregs wife does is take him back to the Philippines and tortures him with all the young barefoot babes looking for an nice American boy to take them to the States.

Eric

Offline John EH

Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 04:19:19 PM
Hey at least you got one! Dont be greedy! You and Greg, with the exotic tastes for women. What Gregs wife does is take him back to the Philippines and tortures him with all the young barefoot babes looking for an nice American boy to take them to the States.

Been to the Philippines many times.  It can definitely make a good man into a bad man.  I've seen guys go there swearing up and down to themselves and God that they wouldn't cheat on their wives and then you see them in the barrio with a girl under each arm looking for a third one.

John

Offline John EH

Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 04:22:21 PM
And I'm aware this is a stereo forum but I gots to share.  This is a selfie my chick took of herself about a week or so ago.

I declare myself the winner in the game of life.

John

« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 04:24:08 PM by John EH »

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 04:51:16 PM
Dude thats unfair! - You know thats a tease!... I want to see Greg's wife now.... With less cloths on...

Eric

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 07:51:18 PM
Guys, other members are complaining that this is getting way off topic.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.