Choke / chokes in the CRCRC Power Supply

HF9 · 5755

Offline swich401

Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 10:09:51 AM
If you put pressure on the bell with your finger does the noise stop?    If so add a small square of acoustic damping to the bottom side to stop it, dynamat is ideal as it will take the heat.  Its a common issue with Edcor transformers which i experienced myself until i stuck a 1" square of damping material inside the bell.

Yep, strong pressure to the centre of the bell with my finger when the bell was raised using the supplied lockwashers did reduce the noise to a great extent. I'll give the dynamat damping a try and replace the lockwashers to under the bell end and see if that works.

Thanks for the replies everyone and all your help!  ;D

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 10:13:00 AM by swich401 »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 10:57:08 AM
CB was serious.  If the transformer primary or high voltage winding shorts to the core/laminations (not likely but possible) you could get a deadly shock.  It would be best if you went back to the manual and followed the instructions closely.

Offline swich401

Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 11:45:29 AM
CB was serious.  If the transformer primary or high voltage winding shorts to the core/laminations (not likely but possible) you could get a deadly shock.  It would be best if you went back to the manual and followed the instructions closely.

Thanks for the explanation, I wasn't sure what the safety issue was, but hearing that I'll definitely return to stock power transformer config ASAP.

Offline swich401

Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 09:22:02 AM
I returned the power transformer to stock config and... no hum! I was experiencing the hum before in my other apartment building that I was living in half a year ago, but have since moved. I had originally dropped the bell end when I was living in my old place and had been running it like that for the 1/2 year, but no need any more!  ;D

I'm suspecting that there was something to do with the power in the previous building I was in as it was extremely old, each apartment had multiple dimmer switches, and each apartment was using many fluorescent ballasted lights.