modding a S.E.X.

punkaroo · 16423

Offline punkaroo

Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 07:24:58 AM
Thanks Doc. I wonder if I should just hold off on tube rolling until I can either:

A) Feel comfortable enough to do it myself, or
B) Find a local DIY-er to do it for me

I wonder if rubbing alcohol would take the AVM stuff off? And since I'm an idiot, where are the transistor heat sinks that I might try to scrape this off myself?

Thanks again!

(I think I'm going to have to have a look at that CD-ROM I got with it. I'm stuck at home, post operation...so I have a lot of time to kill for the next few weeks!)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 08:45:01 AM
If the AVM stuff is latex as I suspect, it should just peel off.

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic1.lingerieplace.com%2Fll022v.jpg&hash=3d35f5af0ee73d0661d78c07c2163e8e6d37584f)

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline punkaroo

Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 06:45:30 AM
If the AVM stuff is latex as I suspect, it should just peel off.

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic1.lingerieplace.com%2Fll022v.jpg&hash=3d35f5af0ee73d0661d78c07c2163e8e6d37584f)

LOL! That's awesome.

I wish I'd known a bit more about this stuff before jumping on the amp. Seems like a pain.

Live and learn I guess!

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 01:52:41 PM
No wonder you hurt you leg ;)...John

John S.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 04:09:01 PM
Doc,

The AVM appears to be something more than latex, though I suspect the latex is the matrix in which the other stuff is mixed.  I have some AVM and it's somewhat gritty/chalky (depending on thickness of coat) to the touch, and tends to chip or flake off, not peel off.  The texture reminds me very much of Silent Running 1000 -- the vibration damping compound used in engine rooms on power boats.  Anybody have access to a GC or spectrograph?

I can say that this stuff does work as advertised on signal tubes, but coating the whole underside of an amp seems a bit extreme to me.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 04:47:19 PM
Then my guess would be that it is maybe latex loaded with silica. That is what we used to put on the Straight 8 driver frames - what I called "secret sauce". Then we found the 3M damping tape which worked much better. That is what I would use now if I wanted to damp a chassis.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 05:13:21 AM
Doc,

That makes sense to me.  Anyplace where this 3m tape can be bought?

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #22 on: August 24, 2014, 02:50:19 AM
 I'am interested in building the S.E.X. to replaced the amp that i used to drive some of my high impedance cans(Mainly for the Q701).I would like to know if the S.E.X.  can be modified to run 6AS7/6080 or 6SN7 tubes is this possible?Is these the upgrade  that i need for the S.E.X.,S.E.X. 2.1 C4S Upgrade Kit and Output Impedance Switch Kit for S.E.X. 2.1 do i need to upgrade the transformer?Is there enough space to install a XLR socket beside the TRS jack?Sorry for all these noob questions.THANK YOU!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #23 on: August 24, 2014, 06:46:41 AM
I'am interested in building the S.E.X. to replaced the amp that i used to drive some of my high impedance cans(Mainly for the Q701)
62 Ohm headphones aren't quite high impedance headphones. 
I would like to know if the S.E.X.  can be modified to run 6AS7/6080 or 6SN7 tubes is this possible?
Sure, you can build a Crack on a SEX chassis, but then you'd be buying both kits and not using any of the parts for the SEX amp.
Is these the upgrade  that i need for the S.E.X.,S.E.X. 2.1 C4S Upgrade Kit and Output Impedance Switch Kit for S.E.X. 2.1 do i need to upgrade the transformer?Is there enough space to install a XLR socket beside the TRS jack?
You'll have to get more specific about what you mean by "need".  None of those upgrades is going to facilitate the installation of a 6SN7 and 6080.  Without looking at your circuit redesign, it's tough to say what would need to be done with the iron.  Most folks use a speaker to 4 pin XLR adapter with the SEX amp to leave the amp otherwise in tact.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #24 on: August 24, 2014, 08:09:57 AM
Thank You for the reply!
The best thing for me then is just get the S.E.X. 2.1 , Output Impedance Switch Kit For S.E.X. 2.1 and S.E.X. 2.1 C4S Upgrade Kit.
Thanks!

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 12:15:19 PM
I ordered my  S.E.X. 2.1 Kit,Output Impedance Switch Kit For S.E.X. 2.1 and S.E.X. 2.1 C4S Upgrade Kit last week and i'am hoping to received it soon.... :)