Crack Failure

lazybill · 6378

Offline berniebanks

Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 07:53:38 PM
Paul.

I am not sure if this was a 240v transformer, but when I assembled my kit I noticed the label was on backwards when I compared it to the molded in terminal numbers on the transformer tags. I was lucky I noticed it when I was double checking after mounting to the chasis.

Bernard Banks

Offline lazybill

Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 03:22:21 AM
Yea, that's the way mine was (label and tabs reversed) but I installed mine as the picture in the manual showed according to the label even though I saw it didn't match the tabs.  I just figured the label was put on later and that the transformer was oriented as required for the easiest wiring installation.  My mistake.

Offline berniebanks

Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 03:44:11 AM
It's easy done as I nearly did exactly the same thing.  I only noticed when I was about to start wiring and found it was in backwards. Just shows the value of this forum in helping to troubleshoot and get things sorted. Hope you'll be listening to sweet music soon.

Happy New Year

Bernard Banks

Offline lazybill

Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 09:38:00 AM
Paul
Checked transformer resistance and all was good.  Rewired without the high voltage circuit connected.  Inserted new fuse and tubes and turned on.  Both tubes glowed after a few seconds.  I did measure the the resistance on the rectifiers not knowing what they are supposed to be but they all register at about 5.8k.  I guess that is some progress.
Bill
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 06:05:57 AM by lazybill »

Offline lazybill

Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 08:06:32 AM
UPDATE!
All is working now.  Want to thank those that showed an interest in my getting it to work and those that gave me a hand.  It ain't pretty but it's all mine and it works.  Thanks again all.
Forgot to check but I guess there is a burn-in period.  I knew from the start that my 160 ohm phones might not make the cut so it looks like I'll be ordering some Senn 650's here shortly.  Along with the speed ball it should be complete.  Thanks again.
Bill

Offline Grainger49

Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 08:16:27 AM
See, the forum is pretty handy.  Next you get the "BUG" to upgrade and make more kits.

You can now change the title of the thread to "Crack Success".
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 09:30:00 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Laudanum

Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 09:04:20 AM
UPDATE!
All is working now.  Want to thank those that showed an interest in my getting it to work and those that gave me a hand.  It ain't pretty but it's all mine and it works.  Thanks again all.
Forgot to check but I guess there is a burn-in period.  I knew from the start that my 160 ohm phones might not make the cut so it looks like I'll be ordering some Senn 650's here shortly.  Along with the speed ball it should be complete.  Thanks again.
Bill

I have a pair of 120 ohm AKG's that sound really good as well as a pair of 160 ohm Fischer audio phones that sound better on Crack than anything else I have (not a big fan of the Fischers).   Doc upped the suggested impedance from 100 to 200 ohms but that doesnt mean that lower imp. phones wont work well.  The AKG's are bass light in general but fuller and better sounding on Crack than any of my other gear with headphone capability.

Desmond G.

Offline lazybill

Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 09:37:43 AM
Yea! That's what I used was a pair of Fa-011's but they sounded better on my Asgard.  The bass was much cleaner sounding.  I probably wait til the speed ball gets done  with some burn-in  before I do anything drastic.  I really don't want to spend more money just to justify the amp.  We'll see.
Bill

Offline Laudanum

Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 02:13:30 AM
Yea! That's what I used was a pair of Fa-011's but they sounded better on my Asgard.  The bass was much cleaner sounding.  I probably wait til the speed ball gets done  with some burn-in  before I do anything drastic.  I really don't want to spend more money just to justify the amp.  We'll see.
Bill

If you like the Fischer audio FA-011's, try a 5998 tube in place of the 6080 or 6AS7 in Crack.  You will probably find the bass to be more to your liking, it's definitely tighter and cleaner.  Many find the 5998 to be a better all around sounding tube.  Higher gain tube as well so you get a fair bit more output from Crack (not that I've ever needed it).  They arent as plentiful or inexpensive like the 6080 or 6AS7 but can be found affordably with some patience and searching.  A member here sold me one of his a while back (Thanks again Jim)  and I found a couple very good, used samples in the $30 - $35 range for spares.   Then there is the WE 421 if you really want to spend some money :-)
Im a Beyerdynamic fan myself but really like the AKG K601 for live recordings.

Desmond G.

Offline lazybill

Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 10:41:33 AM
Thanks for the info.  I think it's a little to early to be thinking about tube rollin' for me but we'll keep it in mind after I sort things out.
Bill