5.5 hour quickie

markc2 · 1499

Offline markc2

on: November 24, 2012, 07:20:41 PM
Well, after the turkey dinners and putting up the Christmas Tree, I was off to build the quickie.  This being my first time ever building anything electronic, I really had no clue on just how well I would fare, so the white face plate, felt appropriate. Much to my surprise I had the quickie up and running in about 5.5 hours which felt amazing.
That black wire that runs to the lower T3 position I couldn't find when to solder it in, but figure I had better do it before putting the capacitors in. That little central part of the quickie was the hardest for me, but it was really fun to build. As I did my testing of the connections I felt like a politician waiting for election results. To my shock it all checked out the first time.

It's running right now with my MC275V,834P,Linn LP12/Skala. I think I have to remember that Bottlehead does work with Reel to Reel's and I think part of the Quickies DNA comes from those experiences. The dynamics are really good, couple times I "jumped" on familiar songs. On my system so far its a tad "bright" but that's comparing it to a Dynaco pas3x.

Gonna let myself get used to it's sound before I start messing with anything. I am glad you decided to bring the 99.00 back, but after getting a taste of this, I want to learn about the power of Capacitors.

Thanks,

Mark

Offline Chris

Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 02:15:48 AM
The power and the PRICE....:) good luck and have fun...

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 05:24:38 AM
very cool Mark - It is a fun kit!  The modded Quickie adds to the basic house sound but brings it up to a higher level of what I would call 'sophistication'.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.