Two subs: one amp or two?

saildoctor · 5110

Offline saildoctor

on: January 13, 2013, 03:19:19 PM
I'm going to be receiving a set of Blumenstein Orcas and a pair of Orca subs and I'm still contemplating what amplification I would like to use for the subs.  What are some opinions on each sub getting it's own amp VS using one amp that sums channels and feeds both?  Would doing it dual mono style have benefits in the stereo imaging dept?  Or is the thought that with low frequency sound not too much to the table and I may as well get one big amp?

Kerry Sherwin

45 Paramounts, 6SN7 Extended FPIII, OC3 regulated Seduction
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe / 2x Orca Subs
VPI Classic / ADC CD-100x

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 04:16:42 PM
go stereo on the subs

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline saildoctor

Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 04:47:46 PM
I think I just needed a push in that direction.  Thanks!

Kerry Sherwin

4krow

Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 04:53:17 PM
I don't know about imaging, but the room acoustics might be handled a little better with two subs. Working that out would be something though. In my case I use a Velodyne SMS-1 unit to help me out. It is one piece of equipment that I won't part with.

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 05:12:19 PM
I'm with Doc on this one.  I've been running stereo subs in my listening room for over a year now and it is a noticeable improvement over the single or mono-dual sub systems I've listened to.  A lot of people will tell you that you can't tell where the bass is coming from but my experience is that you really can for the most part.  Having stereo subs in sync with your stereo speakers will make you a very happy listener. 

Go for it.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 04:56:21 AM
Kerry,

I can't disagree with two subs in terms of imaging and fine tuning capabilities, but I did try the experiment briefly with my old caramelzed orcas and subs (in floor stander configuration) and it is possible that the single amp setup gave perhaps a bit more dynamic impact and was certainly easier to setup, but for overal musicality and adjustability, the two amp setup is what you want.

If you do try the one sub approach with the new subs, you'll want to wire them in series as they are 4 ohm speakers, as opposed to the old aluminum cone subs, which were 8 ohms and which I wired in parallel.

HTH,

Jim

P.S. -- Congratulations on making the move!

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 07:43:11 AM
I have one of the new black cone subs + dedicated amp on the way. 

Does Blumenstein include a wiring diagram and instructions for the proper settings to best integrate the sub with the right and left speakers?

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 08:10:09 AM
Just another post in support of two subs/two amps. 

My experience is only with OB woofer augmentation, however.  I run my bass in stereo and find a distinctive difference.  Of course I'm using OB "woofers" (each side gets it's own amp driving two bass augmentation towers that each house two 15" drivers crossed over about 70 Hz for a total of 4 15" augmenting woofers).  I think the step up to two amps was more important that the step from 2 drivers to 4 drivers.

Best,
John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

4krow

Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 09:53:54 AM
John OB subs sound totally sweet. Then again, it is something that I have never heard. So, to compare, what would your impression be between an OB sub and say, a Velodyne type sub?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 10:02:43 AM
tdogtztmn,

Look at the bottom of this page:

http://www.blumensteinaudio.com/orca-subwoofer-amplifier/

Throughout the Blumenstein site there are different wiring scenarios for Orca Subs.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 12:35:27 PM
I think two subs would be cool. I have never tried it though. I have my Crown amp bridged to mono with my 12" Dayton Titanic Mk lll, 1,100 watts. I would not want to halve that to stereo with another of the same or better driver. One KW seems about right, so, either two of those or the XLS 2000 for stereo. Please, dont get me started!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 01:27:16 PM
I concur with your assessment, John. My Orcas+Subs deliver much more venue-specific ambiance playing in stereo than in mono. A lot more air, plus the ability to play louder cleanly.

Cheers, Hank

Offline saildoctor

Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 06:50:24 PM
Thanks for the input folks - and Jim thanks for noting they are 4 ohm as I was wondering what they were as I looked at amp options.  Looks like the verdict is clear:  go big or go home!   ;D   Seriously, since I personally like imaging over volume/slam factor it sounds like going with 2 will be the tack I want.

Kerry Sherwin

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 04:28:44 AM
Kerry,

Thanks for clewing us in on which tack you're going to take.  Oooooooo baaaaaaad!  Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sounds like a plan.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline saildoctor

Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 04:58:17 AM
With that many watts it may even shiver me timbers!

Kerry Sherwin