origanl paramore upgrade options.

najo49 · 2232

Offline najo49

on: December 22, 2012, 04:54:51 AM
I have a set of paramore monos. They have a upgraded chock a magnatek 10h 90ma grid chock. And the cheapest op trans I have seen. I bought an original sex set of monos with the same made in taiwan opt. But they do have the c4s upgrade. Any information and help with a opt iron upgrade or anything else would be greatly apprec.

Jann Olsen, [email protected].  Lowther medallion 2 with pm2a./ extended foreplay lll,/EROS phono /Grado ref/ SOTA star Vacuum SME V, /  45 amp direct coupled,c4s,mQ nickel  / paramour  2a3 w MQ iron /Original SEX monos /Jena Cables /heathkit wm6a/ proAc Tablette 50 sig , with push pull

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 08:50:28 AM
Can you post pictures of the amps? Preferably top and bottom? That would be the quickest way to determine exactly what you have. There have been several versions and variations.

Specifically, there have been three different stock output transformers, and three different upgrade versions, over the years. And at least two chassis plates. We have not yet put together a comprehensive list of upgrade options for each platform, but a look at what you have will help us make useful suggestions.

Paul Joppa

Offline najo49

Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 10:20:28 AM
Paul I have been trying to post pic all morning and can not. It says my file is to big and it is only 235k. so until I get it straighten out here are some facts . In Legacy products is a post marked help with pt 2 power x former in paramores. posted in that is a pic of the inside of the amp and mine is exactly the same as that ,but mine have Hammond power trans. The top is as follows the opts are 1.5 high aand 2 wide. They are marked secondarys as c , 4ohms and 8ohms. and on the other side is printed made in taiwan  primary 70v 10w. on the upper is 3 wires marked c ,10w and 5 w, 3 wires on lower part marked.625w,1.25w and 2.5w. The other x former is markedC7x filter reactor 10h 90Ma. 270 ohm. Magnatek triand. does that give you something to go on ?. Thanks in advance

Jann Olsen, [email protected].  Lowther medallion 2 with pm2a./ extended foreplay lll,/EROS phono /Grado ref/ SOTA star Vacuum SME V, /  45 amp direct coupled,c4s,mQ nickel  / paramour  2a3 w MQ iron /Original SEX monos /Jena Cables /heathkit wm6a/ proAc Tablette 50 sig , with push pull

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 06:57:22 PM
Yes, that's a big help. It's an original Paramour, probably the second version with the C4S included.

The 10H choke (C7-X) is the plate choke, and the output transformer uses the 1.25 watt tap which translates to a 4K primary impedance. You have the original output transformer, which was replaced later with the "Speco" transformer when the original was discontinued. It took us a long time to find a transformer as good as the original. The Speco has since also been discontinued - that's when we converted to our own custom parts, for the Stereomour.

There was an upgrade setup - I can't locate the web page, but I think it still exists. As far as I remember, it accomplished the following changes:

1) The 10H choke remained in place but electrically it replaced the 270-ohm 5-watt resistor in the high voltage power supply.

2) A new plate choke, Magnequest BCP-15 (40H at 50mA), was mounted on 1" standoffs below the chassis plate, using the 10H choke mounting screws.

3) There was a custom output transformer, rated 4K to 4, 8, or 16 ohms, which replaced the original output transformer. The new one was a bit larger, and mounted at a slight angle.

The upgrade output transformer has been out of production for a long time now, unfortunately. I see two possibilities for upgrading, following the original plan fairly closely. This will make more sense once we locate the old instructions!

There are no kits or instructions for either, and as far as I know neither has been done so far. Here are the possibilities:

1) The current Paramour II upgrade iron from Magnequest, BH-5 outputs and BH-6 plate chokes.

http://www.magnequest.us/

The output transformer should fit I believe in holes that already exist, but it has exposed solder terminals rather than lead wires. These terminals must be insulated after wires are attached, for safety reasons. The choke is the same size and specification as the BCP-15 and can mount the same way. The output transformer is 3K ohms impedance, but that is enough to work well in this circuit as long as the larger plate choke is also used.

2) The current Stereomour uses a 20H plate choke (PC-3) and a 4K output transformer (OT-2) which are the same size as the original upgrade parts. The output transformer again has exposed terminals. These parts are not yet being sold, but there are plans to offer them as an upgrade to the older SEX 2.0 amp so they will probably be available.

I'm afraid that's the situation at the present time.

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 01:58:51 AM

Offline najo49

Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 05:56:01 AM
Thank you so much paul,and grainger. That helps alot,but the the 400 for the magnaquest will have to wait a while. It sounds teriffic now but I will do the upgrade next month.  Unless you think it would be wise to wait for the newer opts to be available.what do you think? Jan

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 06:01:49 AM
I have one pair of the custom upgrade transformers for this Paramour version, I would be willing to part with them at a reasonable price.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline najo49

Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 06:13:59 AM
Yes! I would like to buy them. Please give me the price,and we will go from there. again thanks so much. Jan O.