Attenuator [resolved]

benzxc · 1834

Offline benzxc

on: June 13, 2023, 01:57:20 PM
Does anyone know where to buy a replacement attenuator? The one for "fine" has now stopped working, as in I am no longer able to change steps. There are no more resistance when I try to move it. The coarse one still works fine...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 09:31:30 AM by Paul Birkeland »

Ben Chiou

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 02:04:47 PM
If the control won't rotate, the immediate thing to do is to figure out what's keeping it from rotating.  Did you remove it recently by chance?  There are two pieces of hardware in the switch that allow you to set the number of positions active on the switch, and this is called out in the directions.  It's completely possible to accidentally set the switch up to be one position, then it wouldn't move at all. If the switch is loosened and/or removed for whatever reason, these bits of hardware can move and cause the same problem.

It's also possible that debris has lodged itself in the switch and caused it not to move.

We have the switches custom made for us, so you'd have to order a replacement from us if that ends up being necessary, which seems very unlikely.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline benzxc

Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 02:12:26 PM
Thanks... Hmmm I haven't removed the switches at all. I did move the amp physically and the issue happened after I moved the amp to a new location. Maybe that's it... Let me try to figure it out.

Ben Chiou

Offline benzxc

Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 03:20:11 PM
Paul... or anyone else... would you mind sharing the MourQuiet manual with me or show me how to fix the attenuator?  I can't seem to find my manual for the MourQuiet Attenuator.

Thanks in advance.

Ben Chiou

Offline benzxc

Reply #4 on: June 13, 2023, 03:32:15 PM
If the control won't rotate, the immediate thing to do is to figure out what's keeping it from rotating.  Did you remove it recently by chance?  There are two pieces of hardware in the switch that allow you to set the number of positions active on the switch, and this is called out in the directions.  It's completely possible to accidentally set the switch up to be one position, then it wouldn't move at all. If the switch is loosened and/or removed for whatever reason, these bits of hardware can move and cause the same problem.

It's also possible that debris has lodged itself in the switch and caused it not to move.

We have the switches custom made for us, so you'd have to order a replacement from us if that ends up being necessary, which seems very unlikely.

So the issue is not that it won't move. It moves. But it doesn't have any "steps" if that makes any sense. I can rotate it but it doesn't click and the volume doesn't change.  If that makes any difference.

Ben Chiou

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023, 04:12:00 PM
Have you tried tightening the set screw on the knob?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline benzxc

Reply #6 on: June 13, 2023, 04:25:53 PM
Is this the "set screw"? Sorry... I'm not familiar with the terminology...

Ben Chiou

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: June 13, 2023, 04:28:16 PM
That is correct.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline benzxc

Reply #8 on: June 14, 2023, 07:59:28 AM
Ok that worked... Thanks Paul...

Ben Chiou