DAC Progress New

tdogzthmn · 3819

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
on: April 10, 2012, 04:07:03 PM
I just wanted to know if there have been any updates since February when I got the chance to hear the DAC at the Norcal meet and see the new DAC chip.  Its been quite on this topic for quite some time and I know things can move slow with soo much else going on but some good news would be much appreciated. 

Offline John Swenson

Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 02:16:44 PM
What you heard was a very early version, I have something up and running on the bench which is much closer to what will be the final DAC. It's playing music but there is still a lot of work to get it all together.

BTW the sound quality at this point is WAY better than what you heard at the show!

John S.

John Swenson
DAC designer
Well Tempered Record player -> Seduction
Moded Squeezebox->DIY DAC
BDT preamp->813 monster SE amp
DIY "Bazooka" Lowther speakers

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 03:17:33 PM
Did you guys notice that John has two posts this afternoon? This one says he's still making significant strides. The other one says he's not holding out for everything - but leaving an upgrade path for future improvements.

This is the delicate balance of product development - Doc B gets to decide ultimately, but we are all aiming for the time when he yanks the design out of the engineer's hands and makes it a product.

I've been listening to this project (as well as working on the tube gain stage) for some time now. And for the record, a) I HATE digital, and b) I'm buying John's design when it comes out even if I have to drive it with a $39 DVD player.

Paul Joppa

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 05:12:04 AM
Very interested in the tube gain stage aspect of this project. Op amps are the common denominator of most of the affordable DAC's out there. Like to graduate from that. Dont have $5K to do it.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.