Popping sound each time Crack is turned off

ksridevi · 2080

Offline ksridevi

on: November 23, 2013, 02:09:58 PM
Hi Folks:
Each time I turn the power down on my Crack, after a few seconds I hear loud pop sounds from the headphones. Could you please let me know what could be the source of it and how to resolve it?

Thank you!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 07:52:49 AM
Is it from both channels?

Do you have a stock amp, or an amp with the Speedball?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ksridevi

Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 08:59:20 AM
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your reply and time. This is Avi, OPs hubby, it is from both channels, but I might be wrong since they are so loud I just take the Senn HD 650 headphone out of my ear before I turn the crack off. Its  a stock amp and not yet updated to Speedball. Planning to check for any loose solder connections in sometime. Hopefully that will resolve this pop.

Offline ksridevi

Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 11:56:56 AM
Hi:
I checked and re-checked each and every solder and they all seem fine. When the headphone is connected to the jack and I turn it off, thats when I hear a few pop sounds from the headphones, see no visible arcs from any solder connections. When I turn the amp off with the headphone unconnected, I hear no pop sounds. Is it advisable to connect the headphones after the amp is turned on and disconnect the headphones before the amp is turned off? I tried with both my Senn HD 650 and Grado SR60i with the same result. Kindly let me know.

Thank you.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 02:07:13 PM
This may just be abnormal tube behavior from power cycling.  You could just leave the Crack on 24/7 and not worry too much about it.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline ksridevi

Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 03:16:34 PM
Thanks again for your time and reply, Paul. Is there a way I can get replacement tube from Bottlehead and I can ship back the old ones back?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 03:35:59 PM
Sure, if you mail the tubes back, we can replace them.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline ksridevi

Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 12:57:50 PM
Hi Paul: Just wanted to update that I pulled the tubes out and put it back in. So far I haven't yet heard any popping sound each time I turn the crack off. Hopefully it continues :). Again, thanks for your reply and help so far.

audiophileboss

Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 03:02:11 PM
I had a problem similar to that with an Audio Research tube amp. I pulled the tubes out and cleaned the pins, worked great! Also, I don't suggest leaving your crack on 24/7. IMO

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 05:48:10 PM
Hi Paul: Just wanted to update that I pulled the tubes out and put it back in. So far I haven't yet heard any popping sound each time I turn the crack off. Hopefully it continues :). Again, thanks for your reply and help so far.

Yeah, those old school 6080's can get a little oxidized on the pins, leading to what you described.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland