Best way to attenuate volume?

Rublyow · 2084

Offline Rublyow

on: October 30, 2014, 09:21:39 AM
I've seen this problem come up elsewhere, and I was wondering the best way to deal with it. Basically the volume using Crack is so loud that I only have to nudge the volume pot a tiny bit to have it at a comfortable level. But, I also don't have any fine-scale control over the volume. I've seen other people use in-line attenuators, and I was wondering what the best solution is.  Right now the problem is most pronounced when listening to vinyl records, where I'm running a Clearaudio Maestro wood cartridge (output 3.6 mV) though the Eros Phono and Crack w/ speeball.

Any thoughts or suggestions about what works best, hopefully with minimal coloration to the overall sound?

Thanks!

Dan

Marantz TT-15s1  / Clearaudio Maestro Cartridge / Bottlehead Eros / Bottlehead Crack / Bottlehead Quickie / Onkyo A-10 Integrated Amp / Paradigm Monitor 7 v3 speakers / Peachtree Audio Era D4 speakers / Fusion Tempest DIY speakers / Sennheiser HD 585

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 03:53:25 PM
You can solder a 33K resistor across each pair of outside lugs on each level of the volume pot, then solder a 75K resistor between the red wire coming from the RCA jacks and where it attaches to the volume pot, as well as another 75K resistor between the white wire coming from the RCA jacks and where it attaches on the volume pot.

This isn't all that different than an inline attenuator, but it will maintain high input impedance in the amplifier.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Nathan

Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 12:49:50 AM
That's what I did with excellent results

Crack/Speedball, SEX 2.1/C4S, Bryston BHA-1

Sennheiser HD600/Cardas cable, Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Gen, Hifimam HE560/Hifiman balanced cable

Offline Rublyow

Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 04:13:03 AM
Great, I'll give that a go. Just to double check, if the lugs were labeled U1, U2, and U3, for the upper level and L1, L2, L3 for the lower level, then you are saying to solder a 33k resistor from U1 to U3 and another resistor from L1 to L3, right?

Also, does it matter what type? Just like a little 1/4 or 1/2 W film resistor?

Dan

Marantz TT-15s1  / Clearaudio Maestro Cartridge / Bottlehead Eros / Bottlehead Crack / Bottlehead Quickie / Onkyo A-10 Integrated Amp / Paradigm Monitor 7 v3 speakers / Peachtree Audio Era D4 speakers / Fusion Tempest DIY speakers / Sennheiser HD 585

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 07:31:34 AM
Yes, you need a pair of resistors there, and a pair of resistors between each hot signal wire feeding into the amp.

I would recommend 1/4 watt metal film, simply due to ease of use.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Nathan

Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 11:22:45 AM
I used 1/4 watt metal films to great effect. Best way to go.

Crack/Speedball, SEX 2.1/C4S, Bryston BHA-1

Sennheiser HD600/Cardas cable, Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Gen, Hifimam HE560/Hifiman balanced cable