Fresh SEX Build-quick question [resolved]

jstrano · 1137

Offline jstrano

on: March 17, 2022, 02:30:15 AM
OK, so I finished up my build last night, but it was too late try it out with music.
It passed all of the resistance tests and the voltage test. I was scared by seeing -3V on the H4/H7 side, but apparently after my reading that has to do with tube biasing (I think).  When I connected it to speakers and a source this morning with the pot all the way down, I have a slight popping in the right channel.  Since the pot is down all the way that makes me think that its something on the power side sneaking into the audio?  Sadly, I have to work today, so that I can afford the Moreplay that I just ordered, but figured I'd put it out into the ethos to see if anyone has one of those "Oh Yeah" moments so I can fix it tonight.  This stuff is really addicting and I'm having so much fun!
Thanks to everyone at Bottlehead and on the boards as I get more and more into this.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 06:54:56 AM by Paul Birkeland »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 05:20:20 AM
Swap tubes, see if the popping follows.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 05:35:45 AM
If the popping doesn't follow a tube, then you are likely needing to track down a flaky solder joint.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline jstrano

Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 06:27:06 AM
Well, both of you are absolutely awesome!
I'm not sure what happened, but I swapped the tubes and all noise is gone and it sounds AMAZING!
My nature is to start tearing things apart expecting the worst, it may have been a pin on one of the tubes not being happy? 
I don't know, but all I know is how happy I am with how it sounds. 
-Jason

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 06:55:09 AM
That could indeed have been a bit of oxidation on the pins.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Karl5150

Reply #5 on: March 17, 2022, 09:05:55 AM
Congrats, glad it was a simple fix / solve, enjoy the sound of an amazing little amp.
Pics?
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline jstrano

Reply #6 on: March 18, 2022, 09:34:39 AM
Karl,
I have to admit that I've been listening to it constantly since I got it up and running.  It is still sitting on the glued up and unfinished base as I envision doing a walnut base for it.  I'm up in the air right now.  It sounds so amazing though!
More to come.
-Jay

Offline Mucker

Reply #7 on: March 18, 2022, 10:59:56 AM
Pound for pound, IMO the S3X has to be one of the best headphone tube amps ever created. The air, space, and clarity of SS while retaining the luscious tube sound. With my all analog chain it is flat out amazing.

Like a refined Crack/SB. However, the tubier Crack is EQUALLY enjoyable, especially with vinyl.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 11:04:18 AM by Mucker »