Rebuilt Quickie: "The Bonze"

Bonzo · 17164

Offline cpaul

Reply #75 on: May 05, 2016, 06:54:01 PM
For battery voltage, you checked both filament and plate supplies?

Offline Bonzo

• My name is Marco, best known as Bonzo
Reply #76 on: May 05, 2016, 07:32:20 PM
Yes, checked both filament and B+ and they are both good (1,4 v filament and 32v b+).

Another weird thing happened yesterday night: I removed the Quickie from the system and turned it upside down to inspect soldering once again. Everything was fine so I switched it on trying to ear any strange noise while gently touch components.
I was using the quickie as headphones aplifier for this task (I built Edcor transformer in a separate case).
No noises, no sizzling, just music.
Put the pre back into the system and...no more sizzling nor pops...  >:(

I will investigare further this evening...

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #77 on: May 06, 2016, 05:24:07 AM
It's most likely a damaged capacitor or it could be a loose piece of wire or something that fell out when you turned the preamp over.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Bonzo

Reply #78 on: May 06, 2016, 07:24:56 AM
It's most likely a damaged capacitor or it could be a loose piece of wire or something that fell out when you turned the preamp over.

Thank you all for the help, I really cannot understand what's wrong!
I think the problem is still something related to sockets: now after some more cleaning and tube swapping the sizzling is less evident, and the pops stopped within 30 seconds after turning on.

Quickie's output caps are russian K75, big as a grenade, I don't tink they are damaged, but I'll change them just to be shure.

ATM I'm using the quickie with a class D amp which has big electrolytic output capacitors, maybe is a good idea to check if they are damaged too, and maybe bypass them with good teflon ones?

Thank you all again!  :) :) :)

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #79 on: May 06, 2016, 07:34:30 AM
I was working under assumption that you were sure the noise was coming from the preamp. If you haven't already, you will want to isolate which piece of gear the noise is coming from before changing out any parts.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Bonzo

Reply #80 on: May 06, 2016, 08:02:50 AM
I was working under assumption that you were sure the noise was coming from the preamp. If you haven't already, you will want to isolate which piece of gear the noise is coming from before changing out any parts.

You were right Doc, the pops and the sizzling sound are from the quickie without any dubts (tested with headphones and no amplifier connected), I was thinking if also the power amp could exacerbate the problem with those big electrolytic output caps...

Thank you

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline Bonzo

Reply #81 on: May 08, 2016, 01:35:59 AM
Another thing felt into my mind today: could it be possible it's a switch problem?
My Quickie is the old version with TPDT switch for power on.

Mmmh...

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline aragorn723

Reply #82 on: May 08, 2016, 02:59:47 AM
Bonzo,
How about switching out the tubes?

Dave

Offline Bonzo

Reply #83 on: May 08, 2016, 03:33:13 AM
Bonzo,
How about switching out the tubes?

Dave
Hi Dave, the pops remain int he right channel even when I change tubes and also after tube rolling...

Thank you for the hint anyway!  :)

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline Bonzo

Reply #84 on: May 08, 2016, 07:15:10 AM
In my search to get rid of the pops, my father gave me an old "secret" dated back when there were valves in the TV.

To avoid the valves loose connection during time, it was a common practice among technicians to gently bend outwards a little all tube pins.

It seems to work for me: sizzle is still there (but now I can ear it only whit acoustic piano) and pops are almost gone.

Hope it helps other forumers too!

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline aragorn723

Reply #85 on: May 08, 2016, 07:55:20 AM
Hi Dave, the pops remain int he right channel even when I change tubes and also after tube rolling...

Thank you for the hint anyway!  :)

I figured with all of the tubes you posted pics of there were some laying around lol  8)