Voltage Check issues

cm13 · 1849

Offline cm13

on: April 14, 2011, 09:26:38 AM
Got through the resistance check with all the numbers checking out fine, and had just begun the voltage check and hit a few issues.

I got up through 14 and everything but two of the readings were incorrect.  6 & 10 which should read 0 were fluctuating quite a but from 0-40ish.  Also probably a bit more serious, upon checking terminal 14 I got a loud pop and a few sparks.  Obviously afraid that something was amiss I quickly turned it off and unplugged it.  Checked the fuse, it was fine.

Not sure where I should go from here.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 10:23:00 AM
Double check for mis-wires and also inspect every solder connection. Reheating the connections can sometimes fix a connection that looks fine but is actually a cold joint.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline cm13

Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 07:53:53 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

Went through and visually inspected. As far as my eyes can tell, everything seems to be in the right place.  Remelted all the joints as well.

I have to admit that I'm somewhat unnerved by the loud pop/sparks. Obviously wasn't expecting it and its left me somewhat uncomfortable to simply delve back in with the meter to recheck voltages at this point.

Its probably a dumb question, but what could have possibly caused this?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 04:15:33 AM

Its probably a dumb question, but what could have possibly caused this?

Since it happened when you were checking voltages it is most likely that you shorted two terminals together with the DMM probe. A connection that didn't get soldered is also a common culprit for arcing.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.