Thanks Pete

xcortes · 2551

Offline xcortes

on: August 03, 2012, 12:18:40 PM
This is an awesome community.

I have more friends here that anywhere else.

A few weeks ago I posted about my bidding on a pair of crazy expensive WE speakers on ebay  (Yes, Gerry, I know 755s are not your cup of tea but you didn't sell me your 754's:)). Well, to make a long story short, a fellow BHer entered the link to the ebay auction and noticed he was local to the place where the speakers were. He picked them up, tested them, packed correctly and shipped them to me to CA where I'm going to pick them up in person next week (thus avoiding the custom's gorillas). This doesn't happen all the time.

Thanks Pete.

Saludos!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 12:24:48 PM by xcortes »

Xavier Cortes

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 12:24:04 PM
Awesome!  The Customs Gorillas are a bad lot.  No appreciation for fine works of audio gear.

Offline pboser

Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 04:41:45 PM
I agree this is a great community.  I always get tolerant answers to my half-thought out ideas, which never seem to get much past the idea stage.  And there's always lots of food for thought/fantasy/obsession.

Anyway, I think I was the beneficiary - Xavier let me try out the 755As in my JE baffles - unfortunately, I found that they WERE nicer than my 755Cs!

It was my pleasure.  Enjoy them, Xavier, and let us know what you do with them!

Pete

Peter Boser

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 01:12:05 PM
"A few weeks ago I posted about my bidding on a pair of crazy expensive WE speakers on ebay  (Yes, Gerry, I know 755s are not your cup of tea but you didn't sell me your 754's:))"

Hi Xavier:

I thought I showed great restraint by not replying to your earlier post.  However, since you mentioned my name... I was watching that auction and at the end my reaction was WOW!  I wouldn't have guessed that the winner was someone I know.  The prices just keep going up, so from an "investment" perspective, it is safe.  Not to mention the musical enjoyment you will get out of it.

My only knock against the 755A is that the 10" 756B sounds better to me at 1/3 to 1/2 the cost.  Get yourself a pair of 756Bs, put them on open baffles with a suitable horn tweeter and you will see what I mean.  BTW, I see that you have a pair of restored Ionovac tweeters.  I also tried a pair that I had restored. I believe the model was the Dukane DUK-10 in wood cabinets with grilles.  They sounded very good but like you mentioned, they don't have a high enough sensitivity to use them with the drivers we would want to use them with.  Of course the "cool factor" is off-the-charts!

Gerry
P.S. That was a very generous offer from Pete to secure the 755As and ship them to you.  Especially due to the handling of such an expensive item!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 04:09:05 PM by Gerry E. »

Offline xcortes

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 05:30:25 PM
My problem with the Ionovacs is more max spl than sensitivity since I use an amp per transducer. I xover them reasonably high and that helps. But I'm not selling my Fostex T500As. I think the Ionovacs are perfect mates for the Quads which is what they came here to do in the first play.

I just need to build them Quads a couple of 300B amps each and find me a second pair locally.

Saludos

Xavier Cortes

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 06:58:01 PM
Funny about ebay sales! I sold a Rega Apollo to a guy right here in the same town I live in, for more than I paid for it, and we met for the exchange 1 block from the store that I bought it from (a furniture store and he sells audio gear for less than retail). I didnt complain! I made out good, since I didnt have to ship it.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline xcortes

Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 06:00:04 PM
The WE's landed with me last night in Aztec land. I had had made the 2 cu ft boxes in advance but I'm tired tonight and don't want to work much with the drivers so I just connected them, unboxed, to a pair of my HT paramours. These are set up for 8 ohms and the speakers are four ohms. And without any box or baffle these speakers are amazing. The midrange is awesome. Awesome as in goosebumps awesome. I don't think they can play loud so I think a SR45 should be delicious with them.

Hopefully I'll test them properly boxed sometime this week.

Xavier Cortes

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 03:54:51 AM
Xavier,

Does your location make you the Aztec Bottlehead?

Offline xcortes

Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 03:59:52 AM
That's me: The Aztec Bottlehead.

Xavier Cortes

4krow

Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 05:22:28 AM
I too, will take time out here to thankk all those who respond to my insanity. Some of the ideas are great, others could be lethal. Either way, there is always someone at hand to help.

Offline pboser

Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 08:18:42 AM
I'm glad to hear they made it to Aztec land safe and sound (pun?).  They do sound great, don't they??? 
Enjoy them!
Pete

Peter Boser

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 01:24:02 PM
My problem with the Ionovacs is more max spl than sensitivity since I use an amp per transducer. I xover them reasonably high and that helps. But I'm not selling my Fostex T500As. I think the Ionovacs are perfect mates for the Quads which is what they came here to do in the first play.

I just need to build them Quads a couple of 300B amps each and find me a second pair locally.

Saludos

I used the term "sensitivity" somewhat interchangably with max spl.  While they are different, perhaps there's some relationship between them?  In any case, my point was that if you are driving them with SE amps, they wouldn't produce enough output regardless of their max spl.  That begs the question, what is the max spl of the Ionovacs?  Since they are "massless", what would happen if you put 100 or 500 watts into them?

Gerry       

Offline John Roman

Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 02:55:13 AM
Touche' Greg

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay