Subwoofer issue

Mr Clean · 2063

Offline Mr Clean

on: November 05, 2010, 08:11:40 AM
I have a Paramount 300B that I just purchased off of Audiogon. This a Bottlehead assembled pair and has the iron upgrade etc., still listed 10/25 at tube amp category. Here is my problem, my Earthquake Sub 80 will not work from the speaker level input, no sound no nothing, but my Paramour II's work just fine. Fortunately my preamp has an extra set of outputs. Why??????????
Thanks a whole bunch in advance,
Dan

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 08:15:17 AM
Whether the voltage comes from the Paramounts or the Paramours makes no difference that I can think of.

The only thing might be whether the Paramount output transformers are grounded on the negative speaker lead.  Maybe not!  But that is the only thing I can come up with.

Offline Mr Clean

Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 08:29:47 AM
That is the problem. Where do I ground them?
Thanks

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 09:01:07 AM
The chassis of the Paramounts needs to be grounded as in the instructions.  

One leg of the output transformer should be grounded.  It should be the leg that is going to the black speaker lead.

WARNING ! ! !  You need to check with your meter to verify that no leg of the transformer is grounded first.  If you ground both legs it will smoke the transformer.  

With the amp off measure resistance from the chassis (top plate) to the speaker outputs, either/both.  There should be no continuity now.  If that is right then you can run a wire from the black speaker output post to the ground lug next to the IEC power input module.  (I had to look at the assembly manual)  You should have an assembly manual to help you with this.

This wiring is on page 42 of the manual, bottom of the page.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 09:05:27 AM by Grainger49 »