Other Gear > Headphones

K1000s and amp impedance.

(1/2) > >>

xcortes:
Ironbut will laugh at me because I told him that with my R10s I would never need another set of cans but I couldn't pass up a set of near mint AKG K1000s. And since these are not headphones but "earspeakers"...

I plan on rebuilding my Parabees with DC heaters for them. I assume I should use the 16 ohm tap, right?

Doc B.:
That's what we're using with the Paramounts and K1000s. That way you will get the maximum voltage swing possible from the OT secondary while the output impedance is still plenty low for the K1000 load impedance of 120 ohms.

johnsonad:
If those K1000's don't work for you, let me know.  I've been looking for a mint pair.

tdogzthmn:
After recently hearing Doc's K1000 at the SF head-fi meet I can defiantly see why many people set these as their high bar for headphones.  I would really like to buy them however I feel that the HD800 is also very good.  Would anyone who own's both be able to comment on how the two headphones differ in sound? 

mrarroyo:
IMO these two cans sound very differently, I prefer the K1000 by a good margin. The HD800 are very comfortable and after a good couple hundred hours of burn in sound quite pleasing. However they lack involvement and fun factor. The HD800 like the K1000 need a very good amp and they scale nicely as the source and amp improve, the best sound out of the HD800 I have heard was with a Luxman P1 amp that retails for about $2,500.

The "headstage" of the K1000 is way wider and it also places the instruments much better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version