DAC crowdfunding now in progress

Doc B. · 43576

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #90 on: January 28, 2015, 09:26:10 AM
Excellent, i see you have Paul literally tied to the desk :)

Is that odd looking USB interface the programmer?

M.McCandless

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #91 on: January 28, 2015, 10:43:58 AM
Cool, My birthday is in late Feb, Just saying 8) 

John S.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #92 on: January 28, 2015, 02:47:48 PM
Today I listened to a while for a nice big line lump that PB found to include with the DAC as a power supply, in place of the more standard wall wart we had planned to use. It makes for a nice step up in sound quality. We will also be listening to different battery chemistries as part of the development of the future battery power supply kit, once all of our evaluation samples arrive.

Front panels have been cut out and are awaiting polishing.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #93 on: January 29, 2015, 09:49:30 AM
We moved a couple more steps forward today. Back panels arrived and are beginning the finishing process. And we got our XMOS license for the Windows USB driver, so you PC guys will be able to use the DAC's USB input too.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #94 on: January 30, 2015, 11:37:56 AM
Just completed hand finishing another stack of back panels. And I came in to find a nice group of DACs in the midst of assembly this morning, after the guys had stayed late last night to push forward on the job.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Woodenboat

Reply #95 on: January 30, 2015, 12:17:23 PM
Doc & company, Thank you for keeping us posted on progress.  I would think that to all of us as DIY people, this is just pretty exciting.  I can say for myself that oftentimes the journey is as good as, and sometimes, even better than the arrival.  This chronicling of your best efforts going into the making of the Bottlehead DAC allows us some participation, even if it's "virtual",  in that journey and I'm looking very much forward to the arrival.  Thanks again!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #96 on: February 02, 2015, 02:02:34 PM
Peebs got the main programmer working today and got eight DACs assembled to the point where they can be programmed. We will next test the XMOS USB chip programmer, and then it will be on to final assembly, burn-in and checkout of the first batch. Later this week we will be writing the operation manual, which we will post online.

(https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/p526x296/10450419_795348890500862_6509889316646644669_n.jpg?oh=a52a7274c044e009bedd80118df3958b&oe=556C8E5C)

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Loquah

• Accidental Tube Addict
    • Passion For Sound
Reply #97 on: February 05, 2015, 10:50:38 AM
Now that's an exciting pic!

I can't wait to read some impressions once the first batch is delivered!!

Check out my reviews on YouTube - https://youtube.com/c/passionforsound

Offline johnsonad

Reply #98 on: February 06, 2015, 02:02:28 PM
Any end of the week updates team?

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #99 on: February 06, 2015, 02:43:01 PM
The eight DAC's in the photo have their FPGA memory programmed. We ran into a hiccup with the Xmos programming, and John is working on a solution.

We also received all the power supplies today, as well as the back panel graphics.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline feeench

Reply #100 on: February 07, 2015, 05:17:21 PM
Are we able to control the volume via the OS?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #101 on: February 08, 2015, 02:28:30 AM
The DAC may need a FAQ Thread.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #102 on: February 08, 2015, 06:51:48 AM
Are we able to control the volume via the OS?
Yes.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #103 on: February 08, 2015, 07:00:50 AM
If you mean are you able to control the volume ahead of the DAC, that will depend upon your setup. If, for example, you are using a computer and a player like Amarra, then yes, you can control output level in Amarra. If you use the DAC via coax or TOSLINK with a CD player that has no volume control, the DAC itself does not have a level control in the firmware. You would adjust level at the preamp or amp that it is connected to.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #104 on: February 12, 2015, 10:35:29 AM
We have tried a couple of different ways of programming the XMOS chip that handles USB in the DAC here in the lab and we've run into a hitch. John Swenson has been writing new routines, verifying them on his setup and sending them to us. Unfortunately this has not resolved the issue for us, so today we are overnighting our programmer and a DAC board to John so he can work out what is going on. Once this issue is worked out everything will be in place and the DAC elves should be finishing up a big stack 'o' DACs to burn in and ship out.

In the meantime we have received the first shipment of Supra USB cables to go with those DACs ordered by early birds. We got all the cables they had in the US, and more are on their way from the factory in Sweden in about a week.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.