Can speaker wire be too thick?

azrockitman · 12889

Offline azrockitman

on: October 02, 2013, 05:49:04 AM
This is only a theoretical question...I have no intention of taking anything to the extreme.....   :o   or do i...... ::)

But seriously, the little bit of understanding I have on the concept suggests to me that in a theoretical instance, you could have cables so thick that a low powered amp couldn't drive the sound.  Is that correct?

Is there an "optimum" gauge or thickness that one should use, for instance with a stereomour?  I'm probably going to go 10 gauge which is not super thick....

Thanks

Tim

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 05:53:27 AM
Strictly addressing what you are suggesting, no, thicker wire actually makes it easier for a low powered amp to run a speaker because the resistance per foot goes down as the wire gauge gets fatter. Whether it sounds better is a matter of taste. As a sweeping generality fatter wire tends to have more bass emphasis than skinny wire. But you really have to try it to determine how it works in your specific setup.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline azrockitman

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 06:00:52 AM
Got it.  Thanks!

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline corndog71

Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 09:03:48 AM

I have no intention of taking anything to the extreme.....

I'm probably going to go 10 gauge...

This cracked me up.  Most people use 18 or maybe 16AWG speaker wire.  Audiophiles run the gamut from 30AWG all the way to 5AWG.

Use whatever you like.  Try different kinds.  Avoid shielded speaker wire.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 09:07:10 AM
I think the Blumenstein recommended BJC speaker wire is #10.  This is hefty even in my book.

I did once talk about using 4/0 Welding Cable for speaker wire, couldn't find any lugs for it.     ;D   
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 04:25:08 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline azrockitman

Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 01:13:28 PM

This cracked me up.  Most people use 18 or maybe 16AWG speaker wire.  Audiophiles run the gamut from 30AWG all the way to 5AWG.

Use whatever you like.  Try different kinds.  Avoid shielded speaker wire.
[/quote]

;D  I guess that proves one man's "enough" is another man's too much. (or not enough!) 

I'm having difficulty finding 10 gauge locally, so i may try my hand at braiding two or three strands of lesser gauge. Since Bottlehead has already trained me in that fine art..... ;)

Offline azrockitman

Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 01:14:39 PM
I think the Blumenstein recommended BJC speaker wire is #10.  This is hefty even in my book.

I did once talk about using 4/0 Welding Cable for speaker wire, couldn't find any lugs for it.     ;D   

Welding cable, huh?  you'd need sunglasses at night for that listening experience.   8)

Offline corndog71

Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 04:34:16 PM
;D  I guess that proves one man's "enough" is another man's too much. (or not enough!) 

I'm having difficulty finding 10 gauge locally, so i may try my hand at braiding two or three strands of lesser gauge. Since Bottlehead has already trained me in that fine art..... ;)

Or you could just buy some braided cables.  Kimber 4VS is pretty good for the money.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Brent

Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 05:56:07 PM
You can get 10 awg belden cable from blue jeans cable for just under a dollar a foot (not affiliated, but I've bought from them more than once). I can't imagine that braiding four lengths of 16 awg cable sourced locally would be too much cheaper. Plus you don't have to braid it.  If you like bragiding cable though, you might as well go all out and do the old venhaus cat5 braided speaker cable.  They will sound different than a speaker cable with a star quad or twisted pair or coax geometry.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 08:07:04 PM by Brent »

Offline Reap

Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 04:20:38 AM
If you really want the best speaker wires...................... http://www.audioquest.com/

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 04:29:55 AM
If you really want the best speaker wires...................... http://www.audioquest.com/

That's not particularly helpful/relevant on a DIY website. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Mike B

Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 06:14:56 AM
You don't want the wire to be a significant part (over 5%) of the total load.  This means that the impedance of the drivers as well as the length of the wire come into play.

Far away from the bleeding edge

Offline Reap

Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 06:55:34 AM

That's not particularly helpful/relevant on a DIY website.

Sorry then. But for what it's worth I've bought their wire before and soldered my own ends on it.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 12:26:05 PM
Ah, sweet.  Where were you able to obtain their cable in bulk?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline johnsonad

Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 02:30:28 PM
I'm a fan of Mogami 9 Awg wire. Cheap and works great in my home :)

Aaron Johnson