standard color codes for headshell leads?

Jim R. · 3871

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: October 12, 2013, 05:56:09 AM
Is there a standard color code for headshell leads and what color corresponds to which signal?, and is there a standard pin arrangement on the cartridge itself?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline vetmed

Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 06:16:41 AM
Sure, red is the right channel hot lead, green is the right channel ground, white is the left channel hot, and blue is the left channel ground. Looking at the headshell from the front, where the leads attach, upper right is red, lower right is green, upper left is white, and lower left is blue. This assuming the headshell is upright ;D Hope this helps.

Robert Lees

Robert Lees

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 06:26:57 AM
I agree with the color code.  But I'm not sure there is a standard arrangement for cartridge pin assignments. 

I could be wrong, but back as a salesman I think I remember that there was no standard. 

But I'm old, gray, wrinkled, fat and retired.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 07:59:21 AM
Those colors and the routing is correct but as Grainger stated, carts are different. I've had many odd combos with carts in the past.

Aaron Johnson

Offline vetmed

Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 08:09:18 AM
You're both correct, what I gave was the arrangement on the headshell itself. There is no standard for the cartridge itself, and I apologize for any confusion I might have caused :-[ I will in the future read the post several times before responding ;D

Robert Lees

Robert Lees

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 08:18:05 AM
Thanks gentleman -- this helps a whole lot.

On a related note, I just hired a neighbor on a part-time basis to help me identify things, read colors, and whatever else I don't have a piece of equipment to help me accomplish with assembling these kits and my gear in general.

This should helpfully expedite things. Typically, it's only a few little thiings I can't deal with but they areoften critical and once I hit those places, I'm basically stuck.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline azrockitman

Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 04:23:58 PM
I agree with the color code.  But I'm not sure there is a standard arrangement for cartridge pin assignments. 

I could be wrong, but back as a salesman I think I remember that there was no standard. 

But I'm old, gray, wrinkled, fat and retired.

I didn't know you were retired??!!!!

Hardy har har.  Thanks folks, I gotta million of 'em.

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 01:19:00 AM
I retire my car every 25k miles or so too.

Offline saildoctor

Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 05:27:53 AM
"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from."  :)

Kerry Sherwin

45 Paramounts, 6SN7 Extended FPIII, OC3 regulated Seduction
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe / 2x Orca Subs
VPI Classic / ADC CD-100x