Optimal value of power resistors for 45 amp

rusty-jade · 1371

Offline rusty-jade

on: March 11, 2013, 09:57:28 AM
I have built my Stereomour as a 2A3 power amp.  Subsequently, I replaced the 1.2K and 360 Ohm resistors with the Triad CX-7 chokes, as noted in previous thread.  Having resolved most of the issues noted there, I am now considering modifying the amp to the 45 tube configuration.  My question is what should be the optimal value of the power resistor.   I was advised by a poster in that thread that it should be at least 1.3K in addition to the 270 Ohm Triad choke ( i.e. 1.6K total ), and better if  it is an additional 1.8K ( i.e. 2.1K total).   As such, I am interested in what values of the resistor other 45-tube Stereomour owners used- the stock value of 1.2K, or much higher?     

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 01:35:13 PM
Based on the voltages measured for the manual 3 years ago, and simulations I have just now repeated, I will stand by the current design calling for a total DC resistance of 1200 ohms. This should produce the right voltages with a 120v power line, and variations within spec if the line varies within its spec. If you know the amp will always be used at a different power line voltage, you can adjust the voltage  for that power line.

Increasing the resistor will reduce the plate voltage and output power, but will treat the tube a little more gently. Because of the resistor bias, it will remain close to "optimum" performance (based on my idea of optimum of course!). Do not exceed 2000 ohms unless you can use a resistor of greater than 10 watts rating. Even a 2000 ohm resistor will have a small effect, less than 20% dissipation and output power reduction.

Meanwhile I will try to measure the voltages again the next time I am at the headquarters - I don't have a Stereomour in my lab at the moment, and I suspect a small inconsistency in the manual voltages.

Paul Joppa

Offline rusty-jade

Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 04:29:34 AM
Thanks PJ.  I will stay close to the circuit design stock value of 1.2K.