Quad ESL on a Stereomour

Big Al 954 · 1340

Offline Big Al 954

• Master of the Dark Arts (Broadcast)
on: September 07, 2014, 11:49:03 AM
With the impending arrival of my Stereomour I was wondering if anyone has tried Quad ESL speakers on a Stereomour or a Paramour amplifier.
Given that the Quads are not the easiest things to drive being more of a capacitive load and require a very stable amplifier, I thought it wise to seek counsel from the Bottle head community.
Up 'til now I've mainly run them from my Quad II monoblocks and occasionally from a Quad 303 or Quad 50E,but I really want to hear them on a dht amp. 
Looking forward to your opinions

Alastair Reynolds
Broadcast Radio Engineer

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 07:26:45 PM
Stereomour is a no-feedback amp, so it will be stable into a capacitive load. It's only 4 watts, so smaller-scale music is the order of the day. A friend has used Paramounts with surprising success on large electrostats,  can't remember which ones.

Paul Joppa

Offline Big Al 954

• Master of the Dark Arts (Broadcast)
Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 01:55:43 AM
Thanks Paul, I was pretty sure that would be the case given that it was a no feedback design, but thought I'd ask in case anyone had had a negative experience. I'll mainly be driving a pair of restored JBL 4320 studio monitors. At 99dB for 1 watt sensitivity  , 4 watts will be plenty. The ESLs are really nice for string or woodwind chamber music at a very modest level or for flamenco guitar.I have some Mercury SACDs of the Romeros  waiting for the "DHT" treatment.

Alastair Reynolds
Broadcast Radio Engineer

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 05:19:00 AM
    .  .  .    The ESLs are really nice for string or woodwind chamber music at a very modest level or for flamenco guitar.I have some Mercury SACDs of the Romeros  waiting for the "DHT" treatment.

I think you are in "High Cotton" with the Quads and the Stereomour with the music you intend.  And that is great music for electrostatics.  It will show up what they do very well.