SOLVED: Help with Crack Voltages, no LEDs lit, and humming in right ear

ncsMD · 573

Offline ncsMD

So I just finished putting together my first crack. This is the first time I've soldered before, although I did take my time.

The resistance check was passed with no issues.

Issues:
1) The two red LEDs only light up when one (or both) RCA jacks are connected. If no RCA jack is connected, then the red LEDs do not light up. If I touch the two ends of the RCA jacks together, the headphones make a noise and the LEDs light up.
2) There is a constant humming only in the right channel. The humming loudness is constant and does not change with volume adjustments. The humming only occurs when at least 1 RCA is plugged in.
3) My voltages are slightly funky. Essentially on 1, 5, 7, 9 the voltage is approx. 149.5 V when it should read 50-100V (1 and 5) or 90-115V (7 and 9). Voltages posted below.

It seems as if the RCA jack needs to be connected to something in order to complete the circuit. When the circuit is completed, there is a humming sound and the LEDs light up.

1 - 149.5 V
2 - 165.6 V
3 - 0 V
4 - 166.0 V
5 - 149.8 V

6 - 0 V
7 - 149.4 V
8 - 0 V
9 - 149.1 V

Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 03:42:42 AM by ncsMD »

Offline ncsMD

More photos

Offline ncsMD

More photos

Offline ncsMD

SOLVED! I realized it was a grounding issue.

The lower left lug volume pot knob did not have enough solder on it so the ground was not carried to the upper left lug of the volume knob.

Voltages all within range, and no more buzzing!