Crack - output issue

PeterOliver · 1414

Offline PeterOliver

on: July 24, 2013, 08:25:33 PM
Just finished my Crack plus Speedball last night. Did all the resistance checks, all good. Power up, all good. But after a while all but 2 LED light up, Both seem to be on the right channel. One on the 6080 board and the other one the driver board. The heatsink to the associated output transistor quite hot compared with the other one. Tried with some music. Awesome sound from the left headphone, dead quiet on the right. Measured the voltage of the LED with a LED meter. Read around 1.4v ish on the ones that work and 0.7v on the two that don't work. Is my amp not working due to the LED not working measured the resistance of all the transistor pins, all high Mega ohm range. Yes the LED are installed the right way as well.

Any assistance?
hello were you able to sort out the problem? I am facing similar issue with my speedball..Please  help me in solving the issue..

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 05:06:35 AM
Hello Peter,

Can you let us know the specifics of your issue?

Was the Crack fucntional before the Speedball?

Do all the LED's illuminate?

How are the voltages?

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline John EH

Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 11:48:36 AM
When I was tube rolling the other day a 6080 failed on me (a short on the number 2 setting on my TV7 on one of the Triodes).

When it failed the LED's in the left channel board failed.  I also noted that if I pulled the headphone jack out halfway I got sound in both sides.

Replacing the 6080 fixed the problem.  Try to swap your tube if you have a spare.

John

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 04:57:55 PM
  I also noted that if I pulled the headphone jack out halfway I got sound in both sides.

This is covered in the Crack FAQ.  When you slide the headphone plug part way out, you end up maintaining the ground to sleeve connection while shorting the ring connection on the jack to the tip and ring of the headphone plug, thus sending the right channel to both channels of your headphones.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man