info about power supplies

Guest · 1039

4krow

on: September 24, 2016, 09:51:19 AM
Obviously there are a number designs out there for power supplies for audio equipment. They range roughly from switch mode supplies to battery supplies. The supply that I would have question about is a regulated power supply where the voltage for each rail can be fine tuned. Of course these tend to take a more expensive path, but what circuits besides just tubes circuits might benefit from them?

Offline Bacci

Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 09:37:39 PM
 (https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi68.tinypic.com%2Fslr75x.png&hash=68df2ba4fe59a13be6d0b1522a4e9ab3df7ecb53)

I have one of those, they're great! Never thought to use it in audio though.

In my experience, the difference between just USB power and a high quality linear PSU (which outperforms most batteries) on a DAC can be described as "I think I hear something"  ;)
For amps on the other hand, both solid state and tube, PSU upgrades matter. Built a 30V AMB s11 linear PSU for AMB M3 and it really made a big difference in noise floor and transients.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 11:26:43 PM
There are a few main advantages to regulated supplies,

- Lower noise floor and power supply noise rejection.  I.e. better isolates the circuit from any noise or ripple on the main DC supply.

- Regulated voltage, keeps biasing points consistent as the DC voltages won't fluctuate with mains voltage, especially important for digital circuity.

- Output impedance, most regulated supplies present a lower impedance to the load which can help frequency response.

As above i mock up all my circuits with bench supplies, my Heathkit 2717 is especially good for tube circuits as it can generate a regulated 400dc, and provides 6v and 12v outputs to drive the filaments.  It could also be shocking dangerous if you are not careful, pun intended!

M.McCandless

4krow

Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 02:53:21 AM
  Thanks for the responses, they are helpful.