Anyone added a light?

azrockitman · 1855

Offline azrockitman

on: February 23, 2013, 07:52:12 PM
I'm 2/3rds of the way into my first kit, SEX 2.1, and I've been wondering how hard it would be to add a single powered LCD light, maybe blue or red, in the box that would show subtly through the 4 vent slots?  I know I could find a little battery powered unit that I could manually switch on and off but I don't if it's possible to add an AC powered light and have it not cause any undo influence on the sound.  Any ideas would be great. 

Thanks!

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 08:43:01 PM
You're far enough through that you've mounted the four 1N5820 diodes, the 0.1 Ohm resistor, and the 10,000uF capacitor.

This makes a 6V DC power supply, and it is suitable for powering an LED.  You can probably nab a 12V wired LED on eBay, drill a hole in the chassis, and wire it up to pins 7/8 on one of the sockets.

There are also some 6V AC lamps, you can wire a feed from the 6.3V winding on the power transformer to power such a light.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline azrockitman

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 12:05:46 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I'll poke around a big for either of those.  Thanks

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 01:19:58 PM
On my SEX 2.1 I used a standard jewel guitar amp lamp (AC).  I think I got mine at Mojotone but may have picked it up somewhere else.  They are designed to run on the filament voltage and you can put different colored jewels on top (red, green, blue, amber).  They have a classic "old school" look.

I didn't install the headphone jack (I have another SEX amp for headphones as well as a Crack) so I was able to use that hole for the lamp.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline azrockitman

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 12:13:01 PM
Thanks Randall