new listening room

johnsonad · 982

Offline johnsonad

on: July 23, 2022, 07:09:06 AM
We just moved back to San Diego and got the system set up.  Moving every three years with the military presents challenges for a decent listening experience. The new room is the best room I've had to date. The ceiling has an odd shape and the floor has a decently thick carpet.  This system has never sounded this good.  If your having troubles, adjust your room before changing out equipment.  I can listen for hours and it's as if I'm hearing recordings for the first time.  This room doesn't bass load and the room refraction is minimal.  The detail is outstanding in the listening position. I do need a better listen chair sometime this year.

Nothing new in the system. Pioneer P3 Exclusive table to an a custom Eros one.  The Eros two at the top will go to my second deck once it returns from repairs (Technics SL-10). Preamps are the Pioneer C-Z1 (SS) and a BeePre two prototype. Power amps are custom Paramounts. Digital is computer to an iFi Audio iDac2. Headphone amps are the Crackatwoa (stock minus output caps) and a custom 71A amp with MQ TL-404 outputs designed by PJ. Speakers are Altec 755As in WE cabs HPF at 80Hz with Rythmik subs.

With it sounding as good as it does I can finally do some decent A/B between my Paramounts and a Kaiju not in the photo. I'm excited to compare the two.  The new BH output transforms are outstanding to my ears and the Paramounts may finally be dethroned. 

Happy listening!

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 07:11:12 AM
Maybe some day they'll move you back up here.  Are you thinking about getting back on two wheels now that you have 357 days of riding weather every year?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline johnsonad

Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 01:58:50 PM
There is always a chance I'll get back up there. We have been talking about buying a place in the Vancouver area at some point.

I thought about another bike but my wife was less than thrilled about it.  San Diego drivers are notoriously bad and it may add a few years to my life if I stick with 4 wheels....

Aaron Johnson

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 07:44:56 AM
I second your fear of Lower California drivers, as i was almost forced off a seaside cliff near La Jolla  on my 350 Desmo Ducati Diana back in the 60s.

Cheers anyway, Hank in Eugene, OR

Offline johnsonad

Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 10:18:27 AM
I finally got around to making a longer pair of speaker cables and got the Kaiju into the system. With three different power amp to listen to and a truly excellent sounding room I've been working through the vinyl collection.  The surprise has been the 71A amp driven by the BeePre. It has me captivated to be honest.  Added a couple of photos of the system. Thanks again team BH!

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2022, 11:29:48 AM
Man, I might have to pay you a visit down there to have a listen.  I think I had to sit in your lap when I visited your listening room up here ;)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline johnsonad

Reply #6 on: October 10, 2022, 11:50:40 AM
You did in that closet and it sounded horrible......  You were very polite to say the least.

Aaron Johnson

Offline maryc27182

Reply #7 on: October 10, 2022, 02:09:59 PM
I covet that 71A amp...

Mary

DIY 2-ways (TAD TD-2002, AE TD15M), Stereomour 45
Fostex TH-500RP, S.E.X. 2.1
Eros Phono

Offline johnsonad

Reply #8 on: October 10, 2022, 03:28:13 PM
I don't think I've written much about it.  It was a commissioned design.  I wanted to use a driver is the family of the 6SN7, the 71A as a power tube, TL404 outputs and it was originally designed as a headphone amp (and still can be).  In the beginning it had a second set of output transformers to drive Stax headphones.  The driver can be swapped from a single 6SN7 or use two 6J5, 2C22 or with a converter, 7A4.  I really don't listen to headphones much so it spent most of the first few years as a preamp.  I used a Magnequest Ingot replica in front of it to drive my 300B power amps.  The new BeePre edged it out of that spot and this is the first time I've used it as a power amp.  I was surprised that it can drive the speakers to uncomfortable levels without clipping.  The gain from the Eros and BeePre had to factor into that. The amp barely gets warm and the tubes are cheap.  There are not a lot of speakers that it would work with and I count myself lucky that it does with mine.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #9 on: October 10, 2022, 04:13:47 PM
Nice, I have used 7193's in a Foreplay III type preamp and I really like them. They are essentually the same as 2C22's and 6J5's.
It seems that 6J5's are scarce now but 7193's are still around and wont break the bank. Best wishes.

Lee R.

Offline maryc27182

Reply #10 on: October 10, 2022, 06:06:37 PM
I don't think I've written much about it.

There was some other thread I derailed, years ago, and I asked you about it. You were kind enough to write about it then.

Mary

DIY 2-ways (TAD TD-2002, AE TD15M), Stereomour 45
Fostex TH-500RP, S.E.X. 2.1
Eros Phono

Offline johnsonad

Reply #11 on: October 11, 2022, 02:52:12 AM
Mary, your memory is better than mine, thanks!  If you're anywhere near San Diego, stop in for a listen. 

Lee, I've got a few pair of 6J5 not doing anything if you need some.  The 2C22 is a gem in my book and I love having the top pins.  It just looks nice :)

Aaron Johnson