Proper way to attach two wires to one power transformer terminal?

MilderER · 507

Offline MilderER

Hi. I'm wiring the transformer power input (p. 25) and am unsure of how to attach and solder two wires to terminal 13. I can't make out from the photographs just how the second wire is intended to be attached (the first wire already occupies the terminal's eye). Do you just wrap the second wire horizontally around the terminal and give a tight crimp? If so, does it matter how high up on the terminal you wrap it?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Jonathan M

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 07:26:20 PM
The holes are oblong and should easily be able to insert 2 wires on the terminal. If you soldered the first wire then you will have an issue
which requires soldering. You can probably wrap the second lead horizontally as you stated.

Lee R.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 05:24:21 AM
Put the second wire through the hole and bend it up to hold it in place.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline MilderER

Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 01:10:26 PM
Thanks, Paul and Thermioniclife! Fortunately, I hadn't soldered terminal 13 yet, but I did have the first wire crimped tight and it was seated in such a way that I wasn't able to thread a second wire through the eye. I tried to uncrimp the first wire to make more space, but in doing so, I beat up the first wire pretty significantly (I saw a couple very small pieces of metal fall off and there are a lot of dents from the pliers). Should I proceed with the dinged up first wire or is it better to start over with a new wire? (I recall Doc highlighting the importance of a good wire stripper in one of his videos--thus my concern.) If starting with a new wire, does the kit come with enough spare wire for this, or will I need to order more down the line?

-Jonathan

P.S. If I were to have already soldered terminal 13, what's the recommended method for detaching the wire from the terminal? (I've searched all over the forum and the web for info on fixing this specific type of miswiring, and I haven't managed to find much.) Please let me know if it's better forum etiquette to post this question separately (sorry, I'm new to this sort of thing).

Jonathan M

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 02:17:55 PM
There's some extra wire included with the kit, so replacing that piece is reasonable.

If you accidentally solder a terminal, you can try to reheat the solder to add the extra connections you need there, or you can use desoldering tools to get the solder off.  None of this is particularly easy, nor convenient.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline MilderER

Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 02:09:25 AM
Thanks so much, Paul; really appreciate your sharing your expertise. I'll play it safe and give it another go with some new wire, then. And thanks regarding miswiring tips; I hope to avoid having to put them to use.

-Jonathan

Jonathan M