Harsh treble from my Crack/DT770 combo...

StivVid · 2512

Offline StivVid

on: January 07, 2014, 06:34:37 PM
I've just purchased a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm headphones to use with my Speedballed Crack.  I've been listening with Sennheiser HD600's and thoroughly enjoy them.  Problem is, I'm disturbing my wife at night so I need some closed back sealed headphones for night time listening.
The Beyers came today, and I've got to say I'm not impressed.  They don't isolate nearly as well as I'd hoped--they're a bit leaky.  And the treble is so shrill I'm having a hard time keeping them on my head.  Is there a lengthy break-in period with these cans?  Anyone else have the same experience?
Also...  I'm hoping some of you may suggest some alternatives to the DT770's.  I know that there aren't many choices of high-impedance headphones out there.  Maybe someone has found a lower impedance alternative that has particularly good synergy with the Crack?

Offline STURMJ

Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 07:36:10 PM
I have the 880 and 990s, they are fine. But they have the same drivers. Im not sure if the 770s have the same drivers as these ( I doubt that they do). Break in cant hurt though. Let them run for a day or so and see.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 07:43:23 PM
It looks like these may have a strong peak (10dB) from 7-10K, which would be pretty annoying.  You'll notice the same peak on the Beyerdynamic T70 and T70P, so I don't think a newer model is going to help you much.  Some break in time might soften this a bit.

Unfortunately, closed back headphone designers assume that you're plugging their cans right into your portable source and not an amp (even $1,000+ closed back headphones seem to work under this assumption).

Maybe give these a try?
Secret Sauce

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline StivVid

Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 08:08:35 AM
Thanks so much for your replies and advice.  I've been burning them in since last evening, and they're sounding much more even already.  I think when I first listened to them, they were very cold.  They had been en route to me for a week in this freezing weather we've been having out here.  They sound totally different now, but I'm still not convinced.  I'll give them another day or two and decide whether or not to send them back.

You might be right, Paul, about that peak in the treble.  Maybe I'm overly sensitive to that frequency range.  And your suggestion to try the Secret Sauce...  I'm curious.

Thanks again.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 09:32:58 AM
Maybe give these a try?
Secret Sauce

I thought you were joking with that recommendation but that's a surprisingly similar match, just with the high end knocked down.  How did you do that, are you one of these people that has sampled every headphone known to man?

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fgraphs.headphone.com%2FgraphCompare.php%3FgraphType%3D0%26amp%3BgraphID%26%2391%3B%5D%3D713%26amp%3BgraphID%26%2391%3B%5D%3D2561%26amp%3Bscale%3D30&hash=c7480ac1288fb61ea1f91a02e6657933df7676fe)

M.McCandless

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 11:23:46 AM
M.McC,

Those two curves are relative the same.  The Beyer has some bass aberrations, the Sennheiser has some midrange wobbles and both roll off in the highs, and so do I. 

I guess if I were to listen on headphones I would need an opposite curve to the highs.  I haven't listened to headphones often since the 70s.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 12:14:17 PM by Grainger49 »