Eros (Seduction) Spinning

Paully · 29032

Offline Grainger49

Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 08:37:09 AM
Ok, probably the LP I know best, CSN first LP a Classic reissue.  And it is amazing sounding.  Denon/Dual combo into a Denon SUT and my New Eros.

Edit: How do you know if you have an original pressing of CSN?  The response to "Can I have some of your purple berries?" is extremely low, almost inaudible.  The phrase, "Yes, I've been eating them 6-7 weeks now, haven't gotten sick once." is muddled.  I have too many pressings of this album.  Some will go out to friends in a future thread.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 03:27:07 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 06:59:21 AM
Grainger,

Funny you should mention that album -- when I get my new vinyl rig done, that is one of the first albums I plan to get and play -- that and Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 07:37:45 AM
Jim,

I have heard often of Goldberg Variations, I have just never heard it.

This afternoon Paul Simon, Rhymin' Simon.  A DCC remastered version.  There is sibilance.  I returned the first copy of this to DCC with an explanation of the problem.  They sent back a copy as bad as the first.  Then they went out of business.  Hmmmm....  Regrets to S. Hoffman, I expect the pressing problems are not his.  I have way too many albums mastered by him for it to be his problem.

Less sibilance on the Denon DL-103C and Dual combo, but...

Next I go to my original pressing of this album.  We will see....

The original pressing (OP) is cleaner although the images are not as well defined.  The sibilance just goes right through my head.  So the DCC will end up on the block.

Edit:  The OP has some edge to the "S" sound but only 10% of the DCC pressing.  It could be that the Columbia mastering squelched the sibilance, but PS had been recording with them for a long time.  He would have rerecorded bad tracks.  The OP is also more warm and inviting.  

The DCC has improved instrument placement and better detail.  But for overall listen-ability the OP wins.

Let's see, I have compared two pressings of the same LP on two different table cartridge combinations.  I need to get a life.  I think I should say it before you guys do.

Tomorrow I'm participating in a Habitat For Humanity build.  See, I do have a life!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:06:35 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 07:42:11 AM
Today I am torturing myself with The Pentangle's Cruel Sister.  I have used the first side, second cut, When I Was In My Prime for demonstration since the early 70s.  The solo female voice will sound "chesty" on almost all systems.  But, not on my Servo-Statik I system, and, sadly, my current Triangles are like all other speakers.

I have two copies of this Transatlantic English import LP.  The newer one is a little more crisp.  So I have gone from turntable to turntable, first to second copy and listened.  Even though the voice continues to have that chesty sound the album sounds great.  It prefers the Dual table/Denon cartridge combo because of the cleaner, more extended high end.  Or maybe that is what the sound in my foggy memory that it should sound like since I knew it best with the Denon.

Just got the mail and a new LP in it.  

More later...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:07:19 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 06:20:21 AM
Today's new LP, yesterday's mail delivery, is Miles Davis, In A Silent Way.  A new Columbia Legacy 180g remastered version.  It is clean!  And the personnel!  Miles, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Josef Zawinul and John McLaughlin.  Those are the names that jump out at me.  That's 3 keyboard players!  

A great LP and great music.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:07:53 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Anton

Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 12:39:20 PM
Was listening to "Radio Moscow" this weekend. Psych rock band from Ohio - two young guys, guitarist Patrick Griggs also plays drums on recordings (they invite drummer for concert shows). Hands down - my favorite modern American rock band. These guys can play - even Jimi Hendrix would be pleased to hear them...
I have all their three albums on the vinyl - their 2011 release is really great.
Check them out if you are in that kind of music - you can't go wrong with either of their albums. I am surprised they are relatively unknown band - I have no doubts they will make it big one day ...

Eros phono / Foreplay III extended upgrade / Paramount 300B/ S.E.X. 2.1 impedance switch upgrade

Offline magnafuzz

Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 02:31:44 PM
Was listening to "Radio Moscow" this weekend. Psych rock band from Ohio - two young guys, guitarist Patrick Griggs also plays drums on recordings (they invite drummer for concert shows). Hands down - my favorite modern American rock band. These guys can play - even Jimi Hendrix would be pleased to hear them...
I have all their three albums on the vinyl - their 2011 release is really great.
Check them out if you are in that kind of music - you can't go wrong with either of their albums. I am surprised they are relatively unknown band - I have no doubts they will make it big one day ...

OOOooo nice choice! Radio Moscow are regulars on my spin list. Their version of "I Just Wanna Make Love to You" is a favorite. I'm currently listening to some "Brian Olive", a mellower offering from the good folks at Alive Records (ex member of the Greenhornes and the Soledad Brothers, two other great Ohio bands).

Next up on tonights list are The Wailers - The Fabulous Wailers, The Black Keys - Chulahoma and Otis Redding - Live in Europe.

Unfortunately... all of this is lacking a BH Phono pre... hoping for a Seduction to show up under the tree this year!

Andrew T

Seduction
Crack with speedball

Offline Grainger49

Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 11:38:08 PM
Can either of you find a link to an example of their work, say on YouTube?

Offline Anton

Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 01:17:54 AM
Hi Grainger,
Here are couple links:

here is their official web site
http://radiomoscow.net/

You can buy their music from their official record label site here http://www.alive-totalenergy.com/x/?page_id=161

Eros phono / Foreplay III extended upgrade / Paramount 300B/ S.E.X. 2.1 impedance switch upgrade

Offline Grainger49

Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 02:34:36 AM
Anton,

Thanks, I hear Hendrix, Cream and probably the blues era of Fleetwood Mac in there.  I'm impressed.  I'll get some.

Offline Anton

Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 04:56:36 PM
Was listening to Esperanza Spalding tonight - recent vinyl re-issue of her first release "Junjo". Contemporary jazz in its best. She is a great acoustic bass player and a vocalist. I strongly recommend to check her out.
I've been to couple of her shows - she is really talented.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 11:19:15 AM
Since I'm sorting through albums I came across one I don't know why it was in the giveaway pile.  Johnny Smith and Stan Getz - Moonlight In Vermont.  It is a 1952 (Mono, of course) Roost pressing.  I'm beginning to understand the attraction of a good mono recording.  I'm keeping this one.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:08:53 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #27 on: December 09, 2011, 05:33:31 AM
Today I'm listening to the Paul Simon Live Rhymin' LP on the Denon/Dual/Denon SUT/Eros.  The soundstage is flat as a fritter but the detail is incredible.  Same as I posted above in reply 17 & 18.  I have the collected works, 5 LPs, I bought for $25.  This pressing of Live Rhymin' sounds better.  It is newer, almost unplayed.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:10:46 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Anton

Reply #28 on: December 11, 2011, 02:08:57 PM
Was listening to the latest release from the Black Keys (El Camino). It is not bad, but I prefer raw, bluesy sound they used to have on Rubber Factory, Magic Potion and Thickfreakness. What they doing now - sounds to me as a totally different band.
Also, it is funny, but to my shame I have to say I never listened to Black Sabbath before - I bought their first album couple weeks ago and was completely blown away. Yesterday bought their second album Paranoid and it is equally great. I just can't understand how did I managed to pass on such an epic band for all these years ))))

Offline pro_crip

Reply #29 on: December 12, 2011, 01:51:40 AM
Wait until you get master of reality and vol.4, that's the stuff with Ozzy. Ozzy went out and got himself another guitarist, the almighty Randy Rhoads. Sabbath went out and got themselves another singer Ronnie James Dio. They still put out good stuff, just depends on your taste in vocalists. Most prefer Dio, but I'm more of an Oz man myself.

Rich

Richard J Feldman
Professional Gimp,connoisseur of Bourbon and Vinyl, metalhead

Crack, Extended FPIII, Eros, Paramount 300B's (in the midst of construction)

Tune down, smoke up